1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

anyone running diesel trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by instyle, Jan 26, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I am thnking about buying a 6.5l diesel chevy, just wondering what you guys think. i know you are supposed to let them run alot, but when you look at FEDEX and UPS they run diesels and they shut them off at every stop. So, what are they thinking? Maybe there is no harm in shutting them off at every stop.

2. ODUrugger

ODUrugger LawnSite Member

:) There's no problems with turning off a diesel whenever you want to... Some people don't when they run in and out of a store cause it takes a few seconds to warm up the glo-plugs to start the engine (as opposed to spark plugs in a regular vehicle).
    Diesels run forever 100's and 100's of thousands of miles and wear well. They also perform better in the lower rpms so it is much more efficient for pulling weight. Translation... you get the same gas mileage towing your trailer loaded as you do with no trailer, an empty bed and the tailgate down.
    The downside it... not every gas station carries diesel. You can never, EVER run it out of gas! And most service stations WILL NOT work on diesel engines. (Around southeast VA anyway)

So theres the good and bad.

JT

3. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the point of letting them run was to cool the turbo? Hence the invention of turbo timers?

4. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

yeah if you run the engine for a decent period of time, you need to let the engine idle for a minute or two to cool the turbo down. this saves the bearings in the turbo charger. if i'm not mistaken a turbo spins at around 100,000 RPM, which makes them generate a lot of heat. they say if you shut them down too soon, it will cause the oil left inside the turbo to bake and cause a lot of problems in the future. i always let my company truck (isuzu NPR diesel) idle down for at least a minute before i shut her down.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I've read it spins at 100,000 RPM's too. Pretty crazy. Here is a post by 'mowtech' from another thread relating to turbo charged diesel engines:

"Shutting down any engine while hot all the time is not especially good for it, but not particularly worse for a diesel versus a gas engine. That is, unless you have a turbocharged diesel in which case when it is shut down you lose lubrication to the turbine bearing yet it will continue to spin down causing wear on the bearing. This lubrication also provides cooling. So shutting down a turbocharged diesel a lot will cause premature failure of the turbocharger. So with the turbocharged engine it is best to bring it down to low idle for a few minutes to slow the turbocharger and allow it to cool before shutting down. But, this isn't bad practice with any engine to prevent excessive heat soak."

6. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

just a question for all of you arent turbos ran off exhaust from the vehicle which they are on ? :confused:

7. Bigtreeman

Bigtreeman LawnSite Member

I love my F350xltcc4x4 for the nursery mud and rough job sites and the 7.3 for the big load.

As far as the idle thing goes if your turbo is not heating up on the run stopping is ok without idleing down.

Anyway i have heard stop and go = more often maint. Oil - etc.

checkout dieselstop.com

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would say let the engine idle. The truckers let the semi's idle for hours on end and then drive them 800,000 to 1.5 million miles while they pull 40k pounds +++++. The only problem I would see is having some one steal the truck! I always shut my truck down simply because I don't want some punk a s $ kid driving off with it!

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the ups and fed ex guys shut them down at every stop cause they are told too. mail men too

10. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

yes they are ran off the exhaust. the exhaust spins the turbine on the intake side compressing the air going into the cyl.