1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Running Foam Filled/solid Core Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milsaps118, Oct 25, 2007.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the worst luck with the caster wheels on my Exmark ZTR. They always go flat or debead on me. I must have broke both of them down at least 5-6 times this year and cleaned the rim lip and cake bead sealer on them and they still go flat after about a week.

I was thinking about getting the "no flat" tires by Advanced Supply for next year. Anyone running air less tires? What are they like and are they worth the price?
  2. KY Bluegrass 03

KY Bluegrass 03 LawnSite Member
    from KY

We run the no flat tires on the front. Helps out a great deal, never goes flat and doesn't come off the rim. I have seen lco run no flat all the way around and due to the stiff ride crack their frames.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

My advice and it's good advice. Put some slime in the front tires, one type has small chunks to help seal it. I've never had a flat with slime in a tire.

Better yet buy some semi-pneumatic, front caster tires and wheels from Exmark or a third party if possible. I'm not sure if they fit the standard rims but your Exmark dealer should be able to help you convert over.

I don't like solid or foam filled tires based on what I have read the last few years on Lawnsite. There is a reason all the companies are going to semi-pneumatic, front caster tires. They are hollow but have very thick walls and will really take some abuse. The ride is only marginally rougher but well worth the trade off if the slime isn't working for you.
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It seems that once they start having problems it just keeps happening. Probably need to replace them anyway. The only foam filled tire I've had was not a good one (for a velke) but I bet there are plenty of sources of replacement wheels.
  5. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

you wont find a better answer than that.
  6. milsaps118

Been there done that about 2 bottle's ago. Never helped me any. I guess my problem wasn't with puncture issues it was de-beading the tire off the rim and loosing air that way. Ever since then they never want to seal right. Was a pain trying to clean out the inside of the tire with that slime all goo'd up.
    ADVANCED SUPPLY makes those semi-pneumatic tires and those are the one's I'm planning on getting next spring. Just thought I'd ask and see if anyone was running that particular brand. I don't even think they have a web site, I just found out about them earlier this year when they sent me a brochure.

That is EXACTLY what happened. I de-beaded both of them on curbs (not at the same time) and ever since then I've had nothing but problems. These are some monster curbs to.. depending on where I drive up sometimes I'll get the mower hung up from under the rear of the deck and start to teed-er-toter.
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well you will love those semi-pneumatic tires (if they are as good as the OEM semi-pneumatic tires). They do ride a little rougher but you can get them into all kind of binds on curbs and drop offs and they really hold up. I hope the brand you are going with is as good as what comes on Exmark and Scag.

Yes you may have damaged the bead on the old tires. I could air the Huslter front tires with slime in them down to 8 psi and never popped one off the rim. Boy did they ride good at 8 psi especailly with the flex forks.
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have my front casters foamed. You can drive over a box of roofing nails and would stop when the rear air filled tires popped. There are pros and cons but to filling with foam. The cons are they are heavy and make for a bit of a rough ride. I would never think of foaming a drive tire but the bead popping thing really is aggervating so I don't care if my ride is not velvet smooth. I need to cut grass. The pros are they are heavy. It keeps the front end down. You never have to stop for flats. You get used to the ride but a suspension seat helps on a Z. Short of hitting a stick of TNT they will run over anything.
    I am sure someone has manufactured a lighter foam but mine is from a tire dealer and the stuff is thick. Any machine I have has foamed casters and always will.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

we have Semi pnumatic fronts, and slime filled rear. no problems. and figure since its a campus with students we come across our share of glass....

if you tire is debeading then usually it means you air pressure might be too low....or you have a bent rim...

I try to keep my tire PSI around 15-20, but every now and agian I'll find one that guys had pumped up to 30...
  10. milsaps118

Man I wish I could air my down to 8 psi. I try to keep mine at 18 psi so it's not so rough driving on bumpy turf.

Just a couple days ago I had to put air in one tire and today it was already flat! I checked for nails, cuts, valve stem, anything that would cause a flat and can't find one thing. My rim bead looks good and doesn't seem to be bent in any way so I think it's the tire not sealing up properly.