Anyone running Non-Highway diesel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Jul 17, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone running Non-Highway diesel in their mowers? I just found out that I get a $0.16 kick back from the state on each gallon of Diesel we use in the mowers. Now the trick is to come up with a tracking system. Maybe set up a separate Wright Express card for each mower.

What do you all think?

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I could run red in my truck. I don't have any diesel mowers (just the truck and bobcat) but I think if I did have diesel mowers i would run red. Now that I think about why is there not off road gas? We don't opperate the mowers on the road so why should we pay road taxes that are included at the pump?

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

WA state sells untaxed offroad diesal at commercial filling stations.

We use it in our ditchwitches.

4. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

What do you run in the Bobcat? It is off-road classified.

5. I have a separate 500 gallon tank for off road diesel.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

we got a fluid transfer tank for red. We use it in tractors and other diesel equipment I would NEVER put it in our f350 :rolleyes: I think we can getagricultural gas around here but not sure of the cost. Would probably need a 500 gal min

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we ose rapid fuel cards. we have to enter mileage on each purchase...

we enter all 0000000 for equipment fuel.
    this is how we keep it seperate

8. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

i get all of the taxes back for and unleaded purchase. All i do i skeep track with reciepts and my accountant does the rest. I think it is like 40-50 Cents a gallon. It takes a little time but evey penny counts.

I think there is a seperate form that he fills out for the business when filling out taxes.

Jim

9. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

You can run 3/4 tank of red diesel and 1/4 of regualr diesel and if they check your tank, the red dye sinks to the bottom. That's what I've been told by people around here that run red in their big trucks and other diesel vehicles on the road.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Seperate tank for off rd, so when its filled all I need is to keep the reciept its almost $2 a gal now. BTW the newer trucks have a hard time with the red diesel. occasional use only in emergency