Anyone runs doubles on Ferris 1500Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowMeDown, Jul 18, 2007.

1. MowMeDown

MowMeDown LawnSite Member

I recently purchased an '07 Ferris 1500Z 48/21. Love the machine, built like a tank and cuts great. One thing I would like to improve on is the clippings coming out of the chute. I do not bag, and the dispersal of the clippings from the chute is excellent, but the clippings are a little bit long. I was thinking that running doubles might chop them up a little smaller. Its not a problem now, but I think in the fall when the grass is s bit thicker, build up may be a problem.

Anyway my dealer says there is no "doubles" kit for the Ferris, but I was wondering if anyone else could give there experiences and recommendations.

2. ojpent

ojpent LawnSite Member

I have the same machine and this spring I ran doubles.. gators and oem's, there isn't a double kit for ferris I had my father who a machinist set them up for me (bolted together before bolting them on the spindle) you might want to go to a gravely dealer, gravely has unit that enables them to run doubles. I looked up the link http://www.gravely.com/products/zeroturn/148mxdz/accessories.asp
    The third pic down you will see the the kit!!! Good luck

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Actually you don't even need that kit. I've yet to have the two blades leave their 90* angle from each other. As for the clippings, Gator blades will help if the grass isn't wet.

4. ojpent

ojpent LawnSite Member

Thats what I thought that I could just leave them be but its better to play it safe... Three weeks ago I went to a mower shop and i saw a Z with comdos that sheered the wings off the blades :hammerhead: because they hit something in the lawn , and the where not running that kit or the way I have mine set up!!! I guess I see it as a very cheap insurance plan to take an extra step of precaution.... Just my 2cents

5. MowMeDown

Thanks for the tip on the Gravely kit. I have a Gravely dealer nearby, I will stop by and see what they have. You have any recommendations on blades for this setup?

6. MowMeDown

OK, I went to the Gravely dealer today and the head mechanic said the Gravely doubles kit will not work on the Ferris. He said the drives plates on the spindle are different and they won't fit. Oh well...