Anyone see the $249 Honda trimmer at Costco?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by magbarn, Apr 3, 2008.

1. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

I know we should be buying from dealers and such, but I saw what appears to be a rebadged Honda HHT25 which normally goes for $350 retail selling for $250 at Costco. It's being sold as a MTD "Pro" commercial model. The things that look slightly different is the trimmer head/cover. Is Honda making lower spec versions of their 4 stroke motor? IF not, this is a pretty good deal considering Costco's "lifetime warranty"

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

do you have a pic of how it looked?

3. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Copy the engine information also and look it up in the Honda site. If it say MTD, what make you link it to Honda?

If it is a real Honda, tell your dealer to take a hike!!!!

4. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

They didn't have any out of the box, but the engine is definately a 4 stroke 25cc honda engine. I did take a pic with my cell camera, but won't be able to download till after the weekend.

5. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

wonder what quality the shaft and gearing is. motor is a lot, but not everything.

6. yungman

from Calif.

If it is a Honda engine, it really means a lot. You should see the Honda booklet along with the trimmer. I just bought a Mantis Honda, it come with a separate Honda GX25 owner's manuel.

You said Costco have lifetime warrante? I'll go for it!!

7. grouselab

grouselab LawnSite Member

I saw it at Costco too.. It's a 4 strokes.. Good deal, but I won't buy it.. 4 strokes are more heavy and too many moving parts...

P.S. Costco don't have the lifetime warranty anymore.. They have changed it 6 months ago.. I know because I work at Costco at the membership sevice for the last 12 years..

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

You sure it is a Honda or a copycat design?

MTD does have a engine plant in China that has made a similar copy of the Honda engines. With some of these engines they offer no internal parts.

I wouldnt

9. yungman

from Calif.

You work in Costco, would they sell Chinese copy and actually call Honda. It is very hard for me to imagine big national outfit like Costco will pull this kind of tricks. I think if it label Honda, it is a Honda. Don't know whether the complete unit is a HHT25S, BUT they will have too much to loose to try to past a China make copy as a Honda. This will make Elliot Spitser look like a wise man!!!!

If it is a real Honda engine, even it has more moving parts, I doubt any other top brands dare to claim their 2 cycles are more reliable and or last long than Honda GX25!!!! These little engines have been proven in many different industries already other than string trimmers. Even you supposed to do valve adjustment and decarbon, all the people use these engines here never do any of that and never heard of any complains yet. Changing oil is a 3 minutes job only. Honda knows engines!!! Problem is like you said, they are heavier. I guess quality and weight do go along together a lot of times.

10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

He said it was an MTD with what "appears to be a rabadged Honda engine"

Looked under some model #'s and found the unit H70SS. They show no picture of the engine and the rest of the unit is typical MTD crap!!

I wouldnt waste my money.