Anyone see the new Cat 297C track loader ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

their website says msrp of 80k with xps high flow hydrauilcs and two speeds with enclosed cab, ouch, it looks liek an awesome machine though. www.cat.com anyone here have something similar with some big pics?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah if you actually paid $80K for it, you'd be overpaying. I guarantee I could get a loaded 297C with everything except XPS tomorrow for around $60K.

3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Saw two of them working the same job yesterday. Large commercial landscaper had new "C's" and about 4 new backhoes running all over the place trying to get this new school/park project done before the next storm. Passed them around 4pm and then at about 7pm and the entire crew was still running around with lights on all their equipment. If they are there today, I will stop by with my camera........which I never seem to have when I need it.

4. Ramairfreak98ss

thanks rockset.. that would be beyond awesome. The 60k range or less is much nicer than 80k, 80k id never even consider lol. Im going to get to try one out this week at the GIE in Kentucky.

5. Ramairfreak98ss

your saying the 297c with cab, ac/heat, xps high flow, tracks, 90hp engine etc, would be around 60k?

What adds the most to the cost, the cabs and tracks vs wheels on skid steers?

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

To be completely honest with you, if you have to even ask why these machines cost more you should probably reconsider your choice of machine. I mean this in no disrespect whatsoever, just curious to see what makes a guy with mostly lawncare equipment decides to go out and get buried in a $60K machine. Chances are, a wheeled machine would do everything you need it to do. To answer your question, the undercarriages are very advanced and add cost to the price of the machine. The cabs I'm still on the fence about, seems to me the cost of the cab negates itself by the time you add in the additional productivity. This is only in reference to excavation work, for landscape work when you're working around a crew I prefer an open cab machine for a few reasons.

And what I could get a 297C for is going to be a different number than what you can get it for. We've done almost $300K in equipment purchases through our Cat dealer in the past, it plays in our favor a little bit.

In the end, I'm just curious what you'll be needing this machine for. It's not my money, but I see a lot of guys spending way too much money trying to get into the business by purchasing a tracked machine when a wheeled machine would handle the task. I don't know your background, maybe you've done some of this stuff before, but generally speaking a 297C is the machine for somebody who's been in business for a while, knows the costs of operating a machine like this, and can justify/write down on papaer where and why this machine would suit their operation better than a comparably sized wheeled machine.

Just my .02, I'm not trying to shut you down. Maybe enlighten us a little bit as to your plans? I know in another thread you were shopping for an F550 as well.

7. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag48, your right about these being the machine for someone with a very stable business that has evolved into I would guess several things to keep a machine this expensive around. As far as you getting the machine for $60,000.00 that sounds great if you can get one for that price. When I was looking around here a few years ago at Deere and Cat one of the things that popped up at the Deere dealer was they did not want to sell the skids because there comment was they can make $250,000.00 on just selling one big piece of equipment. I guess what I'm saying is to me, you, and probably most people on this board $300,000.00 is allot of money but to Cat that is not really a drop in the bucket to them. It's good your dealer is going to take care of you because around here $300.000.00 was pretty much just entry level money to them which in my opinion is not right. Most of us cannot afford that high dollar machinery.

8. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im glad they at least where honest to tell me the truth that I pretty much already knew. It just made me realize that much more though how so small scale I was. :)

9. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Let him learn the hard way I know someone out there needs a slightly used 297c.

10. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

What do you mean?