Anyone seeing a lot of Brown Patch?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArTurf, May 2, 2013.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Years ago I sent in a section of sod which they determined to be take all patch. No charge, but that was years ago. Things may have changed.

2. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Brown patch is cool season grass, large patch is warm season grasses. Same symptoms though.

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Your extension agent is smoking crack! :dizzy:

Weed ID...Free. Disease ID...Free. General Soil Sample/Analysis...Free

Here's where it gets out of hand as far as their charges...Nematode Detection/ID...$10.00. I think they have to charge you for that one because they not only detect and identify but they actually have to do a head count on the pathogen to determine severity.
    I paid that fee myself one time. It was worth it to get that monkey off my back.

...Maybe your extension agent is hoping you'll pay cash. :laugh:

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Ted,
    I agree since my agent also deals directly with crop protection?
    We don't really have a turfgrass agent in my area.
    Thanks for the info.

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I've heard the extension offices "vary" from county to county(if you know what I mean)

Ours here in Faulkner County is awesome. I'm sure your office deals mostly with Rice, Soy Beans and Cotton due to your area being heavy in field crops.

We have our share of Rice and Beans grown here(not nearly as much as you) but we also have several orchards, and a strong Master Gardener program. It's only been 7 or 8 yrs now that our office has really started being a good rescource for us in Lawn Care. They work hard to get us classes and workshops dealing with turfgrass and when we have questions, they are quick to get back with us with answers.

6. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck trying to get an agent to help you in my area. They never get back to you.
    " If you have a problem check with your local extension agent" De loca check you local agent agent:laugh: (George Lopez)

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

If you are interested I am going by Conway this coming Friday. I could drop it off or let you look at it.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Even with people here "greening up" lawns with slow release urea, 21-0-0 or AG fertilizers, there is not much brown patch on zoysia. Difference is the lawns are normally mowed at 3/4" or less with a reel and there is not a lot of water. The people that do rotary mow zoysia have lots of undiagnosed decline of their zoysia. I can see a lot of dollar spot under conditions of really high humidity and high night time temperatures, especially on starved lawns that are mowed low.