1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone seen these (The Re-edger)??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Feb 19, 2004.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I often thought it would be nice if there was a special blade that could go on stick edgers to edge beds. I had invisioned a concaved, round disc shaped blade, like what you see on the BedShaper.

Something that would give you that "check mark" shape when you redefine bed edges. Something that would throw the dirt back into the bed like the walk behind bed edgers do, but on a stick edger.

Well, I saw this website: http://www.reedger.com/index.htm

It looks like it would do a similar job, only it's shaped different then the bladed I described above. It's supposed to give bed edges that "shoveled" look and throws the dirt back in the beds.
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks interesting. A little pricy, but interesting.
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yeah, and the website is a little unclear I thought. I e-mailed them and suggested some more info on the website and more photos.

I didn't understand if you can just buy certain parts and mount them to your current stick edger, or if you need the whole assembly first.

I'd definately be interested in seeing photos of it in action, and the results afterward.

Time will tell.
  4. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Seems like it would be underpowered on a stick edger, especially w/dry or hard soil.
  5. WayneRI

WayneRI LawnSite Member

I agree with Kohl. I would be leery of putting such a strain on on my $300 Mauriyama stick edger. I don't think the driveshaft, gears, or engine are made for that level of abuse.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

In therory, it sounds like a good idea. In reality, I don't think it would work. Rocks, sticks , hard dry ground and other hidden treasures would make it difficult to use. You'd be better off buying or renting a real be edger.
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Keep in mind this is intended to "re-edge" existing bed edges. Not to cut in new ones. So I don't think you'd have too much of a problem with sticks and other hidden treasures.

However, I still agree to a point that it may be underpowered for this. I guess it depends on how much re-defining of the edge you're actually doing.

If you're just touching them up before applying new mulch each year, it may work ok. I suppose soil type and the actual power unit you're using would factor in too.
  8. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I saw this at the Mid-Am trade show in Chicago a month ago. Looks pretty neat. I think it would only be good for redefining due to lack of power of the average stick edger.
  9. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I just bent on old blade like that with the torch And put it on my power trim edger seams to work surprisingly well dodn't bogg down to bad + having a belt drive nothing get's broken if it does stall the blade. thought you may like to know
  10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Ill just stick to the regular bed edger