Anyone sending Christmas cards to customers?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mowtown Mike, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

Two questions: 1. Is anybody sending out Christmas cards to their customers this year?

2. Would it be rude to include a self stamped envelope for possibly a tip?

I might send a few customer cards, but the tip envelope was just a random thought. I know of the newspaper guy sends them out in early Dec. As a customer, I almost feel obligated to give him five or ten bucks. Multiply that by 20, 30, 40 customers, that is some nice gravy for the winter.
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Two answers:
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I always send out christmas cards, I actually took pictures of all my regular customers' houses on a nice sunny summer day with the lawns all striped up and looking good. I print out a picture of their house on their christmas card!
    If you sent me a SASE, I'd file it in the circular file. Just my opinion, most people know you appreciate tips, if they are going to send you one, they will, if not, they wont. I always dislike it when a waiter or my paper guy "tries too hard" to get a tip. My paper delivery guy actually puts it right on his bill... $12.00 paper, $3.00 tip, total = $15.00/ month. I've never sent him the tip. My wife keeps telling me some day he's gonna fill our mailbox with sh!& some day.
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

yes and yes

We send cards to clients and vendors alike. We get gifts for clients as well. Gnomes, Live Wreaths, Bulbs arrangements from White Flower Farms, Poinsettias. Its tough to stay ahead of the curve so to speak. We have a set progression for the first 3 years then after that the go on an individual basis. We budget 30 to 100 for each client depending on a variety of factors.
  5. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

yes & yes!!!!!
  6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you crazy? Your customers will lose respect for you if you do that.:nono:
    Yes send them a card and don't do the holiday thing send them a real Christmas card.

Az Gardener has the right idea,:D I bet you have great customers.

I never expect a tip but always get one, the way I look at it if a customer spends $10K with me I am happy just with that.:dancing:
  7. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Great way to approach the card Matt. Personalizing it is a great way to strengthen your relationship with the customer.
    sending a tip envelope is a bad idea. if they want to tip they will. It may actually change some peoples minds & they may not tip as a result.
    I am a designer for a textile company & each year we produce a woven christmas card so i will be sending those. I am hoping the uniqueness of it will be a big hit.
  8. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

im sending cards....i posted this in the "just starting business" section

would it be appropriate to send a small flyer with the card that advertises the cost for snow removal?
  9. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

No, this should be free of anything just send it like a friend do not use it to sell anything. There is plenty of other time to do that.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yep, i'll be sending them out. Infact, I better get moving on it, as I have about 150 to send out, to regular customers and one time customers who spent over $500. I would never dream of sending a sase for a tip, just not our style. If we get tips that's great, but i feel that is too pushy.