Anyone still use belt drive walk behinds?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by tgunn137, Nov 22, 2012.

1. tgunn137

tgunn137 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone is still using belt driven walk behinds or are they obsolete and not worth using? I have found a couple for decent prices and can't decide on whether to buy one or wait and save up more money for a Hydro walk behind. If anyone is still using them what kind are you using and how old is it?

2. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 left 36" toro and 44" toro, mostly backups but still work real well.

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

We have a few...very reliable, and good value....easy to use,less to break....also good backups
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I also have 36" & 44" Toro Prolines. Very reliable & easy to fix. Can find them cheap on craigslist in my area. Paid $650 for 36" with bagger & $700 for the 44" with no bag. If I had to guess age...probably 15+/- yrs old. I also bought another 44" with rusted out deck $100. Parts have to be ordered/not in stock at dealer, so parts mower has come in handy. Sold the transmission on the parts mower for $150 ($300 new & has to be ordered). Had ad on CL lookin for bagger for my 44" & stated I had a parts mower if someone wanted to trade bagger for part they may need. Guy called wanting to buy tranny!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. realtree

realtree LawnSite Member

Still use them!! Scag can't beat them
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I do not think you can get the 36 Proline with dual hydros anything but pistol grips. I want something easy for the guys to learn and use. So if I go toro belt drives seem like they are in my future.

I have one dealer close to me and I want to work with them. Like me they are a local family business and 3 miles from my shop. He carries Honda, Toro, JD and Stihl and Echco. Mostly stocks residential but will get what I want and he is fair with his prices.

7. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 36 Scag belt drive on my smaller lawns. I love it. the cut is amazing. no idea on the age, but i bought it used off a homeowner. has a Kawi 15hp i think. I'd guess it's a mid to late 90s unit. I've never used a hydro WB but lots on here say those are the way to go. The belt drive can be a fighting match sometimes, but I've learned to just go slower, and not try to wrestle it so much. For the price and how easy they are to service, I don't think a belt drive can be beat.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Toro is supposed to come up with a commercial version of the 30" time master. I hope they put some casters on the front wheels.

We have a whole lot of 1/7 ac lots with 2.5K SF of turf and a 36" gate. While I do not think it is real hard to learn pistol grips, I can not count on guys to use them. Easier controls are required.

MFG's seem focused on Z turns and 48+ WB.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Toro Proline 44" belt drive walk behind with the T Bar, best mid size deck walk behind out there.

If you are going to use a velke, the hydros are better, but I still use the betl drive with velkes.

Yes belt drives are still useful especially for mean hills.

10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

36 Lesco for 2 backyards. Some day I'll lose these 2 and sell it ,until then keep using it.