Anyone successfully using systems in the field ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Az Gardener, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I am talking about documented systems that the crew follows without you being on site? I am particularly interested in owners who do not regularly work in the field.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Maintnenace crews run themselves. I am still onsite for installs to layout and inspect. I don't quite trust anyone enough in that field yet. :)

3. Az Gardener

Many crews run themselves and that can be the problem. Are they doing thigs as you want or is it left to the discretion of the foreman making decisions as he sees fit. I mean very detailed to maximize productivity.

4. paponte

I know exactly what you are talking about. I train foremen, and I also expect them to make decisions. That is part of their responsibilities. On the other hand they know that it is my way or no way. As so are business owners, we are all responsible for our actions. They know that for any reason they are not comfortable making a decision to contact me. Thats what owners are primarily there for, to make decisions so one else can make.

With the right plans in place, a company should run itself with no questions about a single persons' responsibilities. When something isn't getting done, you know exactly to go to. They will have no excuse for their duty not being performed. :)

5. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Michael Gerber (of E-Myth fame) really advocates systems documentation. He says you should run your business as if you are preparing to franchise it, ala McDonald's.

I'm still solo for now, but I'm watching and observing myself with the idea that I'm going to be documenting EVERYTHING so put together a systems manual for future employees.

6. Az Gardener

I have read Gerbers books and even hired an E-Myth coach for 2-years ( very spendy) problem is I cannot get people to consistently follow the systems in the field. They work very well in the office and sales process but in the field they go to hell. You can't fire everyone so I'm at a catch-22. I'm going back into the field myself starting Monday and another jobbing .com add to prepare for whats to come. Its not like the biz is on the verge of collapse or anything, its just that I sell a product and often the crew can't deliver what I sell. Still our homes look tremendously better than most, but its frustrating as I have spent so much time and $$$ on this endeavor (systemization) to have the company run without my day to day involvement. Thats why I was asking. So I have 1 company in NY that its working for, are you using anglos or hispanic or a mix? Maybe you got some stepford gardeners. Anybody else? I did a search and Pm Lawn discussed briefly systems for the field.

7. paponte

Thats hitting the nail right on the head. Gotta make them feel like they are ontop of the world. We offer incentives for our guys, and the harder they work the more they get out of the business. It's a win win situation. I also let them know that if they don't wanna be there, then I don't want them here. We work a a team, if you can't provide what I am selling, then we need to find a better service provider. :)

8. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't agree with this quote more

9. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

We implement a by the numbers approach. I got this from my day of being a Marine. Setting up systems and making things run smoothly is a natural gift for me. I would be happy to shar my by the numbers system, if I knew how to attach files.

10. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

J Hisch
    Just go to Manage attachments below and then hit Browse and select from your comp what it is you want to attach. Then hit upload and wait for it to appear on the list of uploaded files