1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone sucessfully re-painted an aluminum deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I was just wondering if anyone has sucessfully re-painted an aluminum mower deck? If so, I would like to ask for some tips. I do not know the proper prep process or what the proper materials to use are...

If I am sucessful at overhaulin my Toro, it's certainly going to need something done. The factory paint is coming off in sheets...

I've considered even stripping it bare with the proper products/methods. Then polishing it to a clean dull look and protecting that somehow...
    Anything would look better than it does now...

2. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

1. Remove dirt with a 50/50 water and vinegar solution. This mixture not only cleans but etches the metal so paint will adhere.
    2. Apply an exterior latex paint

here are some paints
    http://www.texaspaint.com/BMSoftMedGloss.htm

3. Envy Lawn Service

Now that cleaning solution makes good sense for the bare surface.
    Thanks.

Now, what would be best to use in order to help get off what paint is hanging on?

Also, I checked that link. So are we talking a brush-on/roll on paint?
    Will any sprays work?

4. Varsity L&G

Aircraft stripper will remove anything. You can buy it at Advance, Auto Zone, or Napa.

you could also try this for Paint. You will sell it and it will look the same as when you re-do it http://www.por15.com

Not sure on the other question regarding spray vs brush but I have seen that with the right paint and brush anything will look good if done right. Speak to the guys at the paint store and they can get you the right brushes. I hate rattle canning anything I want the paint to last on.

When we re painted our house int. we had bad brush line and then learned we used the wrong brush for the paint.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks for the extra help, I appreciate it.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Oh, and here's a free tip to everyone offering assistance...

Aluminum is not the only challanging material to paint.
    Many plastics are also...

I like everything to look nice and uniform when I'm out there.
    My Stihl stuff used to clash, so here's what I did so it would look sharp with my red mowers and uniforms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was done with Krylon Fusion paint for plastics.
    I didn't take any real big pains with surface prep and it still looks acceptable in it's 3rd season.

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of these will give you an idea of what you need to get the paint to really adhere to the aluminum http://eastwood.com/shopping/search...attribute15=0&attribute16=0&RS=1&keyword=etch
    i paint aluminum quite frequently but i use either urethane or acrylic enamel, not latex.
    how much have you gotten off of the current surface?, most decks are powder coated and can be difficult to clean if not properly equipped. i use either my sandblaster gun or wire wheel on an angle grinder, sand it with 150 +/- grit paper before priming. my painting experience might be more than you want to get into though, after all color and clear coats are applied, i color sand the top coat and polish to a deep lustre using several different compounds. Just ask
    joey

8. Varsity L&G

Fusion paint is great. I used it to do my laptop.

Alot of time and alot of coats and it looks perfect.

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Rayray

Rayray LawnSite Member

do toro mowers have an aluminum deck?? here i though most mower decks were steel,,