anyone take home/online classes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Mar 6, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i got this post card in the mail for stratford i believe it was. it was a train at home course on landscaping/gardening. it was 500 dollars and you can complete it in 6 months. my question is, has anyone done this and if so, has it helped your business out any? thanks

randy.

2. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I would save your money, as 6 months in the field would be far more profitable. There are guys in this industry over 20 years who never took a formal course ever.

3. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Check out lawnsite.com, they have lots of good info from people who do it daily and are willing to share their experiences. Good site!

4. lawnwizards

i have to disagree with both of you. i think classroom experience is essential to growing a business. i can work 10 years solo and if i dont know what type of plants are out there i'm still not going to learn and the lawnsite plug is just ridiculous. i've been on here since 2003 and still dont know much about plants. anyone with some real answers? thanks.

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

What did they say the class consisted of? It sounds like one of those make $2k a day scams.. idk..

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that classroom teaching is important. However I am yet to see a class that offers the plant knowledge or anything like the program you asked about or penn foster.

If you want to learn about plants, talk to a nursery, extension agent in your area, or some colleges through their extension services offer fair amount information on their websites.

Or get serious about it and study horticulture, or any landscape course through a legitimate collage or university. Chances are pretty good it will cost more than $500, but it will be a real degree and real education and not some program that by all accounts appears to be hokey. Home study programs seems to be a joke IMO.

7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey do some research on what the courses have to offer. I would say if they are reputalble and offer good courses on disease id plant id and other important things it would be a good idea. Here is my opinion you never can have to much knowledge about your industry. I guess you next step would be to check out the school.

8. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

yeah ill say any sort of a hands on experience is the only way to learn

ive looked at plants in books for years, it still never helped me till i took a few seminars where we would do site walkthrus and i could see firsthand what a spartain juniper looks like, what a beech tree looks like, what barberries were...how to properly prune....how to care for daylillies to keep them blooming all year....how to ID common grass dieases...etc...etc

some people can be book learners though

i have a lot of small nurseries around here and any one of the owners are always more than happy to walk around with you and show you different plant species and such...so long as they arent too busy

9. lawnwizards

http://www.scitraining.com/

theres the website. i was just wondering because i have alot of time on my hands and i thought that maybe this course could broaden my knowledge about landscaping and gardening. anyway, thanks for the replies.

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Even a master gardener course might be something to ponder.

Also I think Purdue has some online turf instruction.