Anyone that only does Hardscapes

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Flow Control, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone out there that only does hardscapes and targets new construction and spends money on marketing only to new construction, send me a pm.

2. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

At least in the midwest, I don't see how you could do only hardscaping unless you where a one man show or had an employee or two. It seems we do the hardscaping, so we can make money installing plant material? aj

3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

we are primary hardscapes only. we do the planting install in the jobs too, but 90% of what we do is hardscaping. if you cant make money doing hardscapes than you are charging way to little.

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

.....or you dont live in New Jersey and have 100k average incomes.

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I know living in new jersey screws up my persepective of things.

We all our selling LABOR! It doesn't matter what the heck you are doing, you should be making money.

If you can't survive doing just hardscapes something is seriously wrong with your company.

However, if all you do is hardscapes, you are at such a disadvantage its not even funny, and will have no chance at compeiting with companies offering turn key projects.

6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Well I am sorry Matt but here in middle class America they arent giving 21yo's with no portfolio and no website $150,000+ (allegedly..your numbers not mine) to install hardscaping.

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Koo in ohio are they giving any one 150k jobs?

8. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

I know here in Illinois that just does not work. I am not knocking your idea but new construction is good and eaiser than a remodel job but what happens when the home market goes belly up you run out of work. The other thing is too what guys are finding in our are is that there is more money in redoing old landscapes. Just something to think about again good idea not knocking just passing on what I have discovered.

9. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

i have been to Illinois myself and i am sure there are parts that have little to no development, jsut like jersey. we have alot of farm land too down here, i am in s jersey not north jersey. however i spent alot of time driving around the chicagoland area, actually pretty far from Chicago. i saw more construction and development than in all of south jersey at the time, big houses too.

i am sure in parts of the mid west it would be impossible to be hardscape only, heck i dont know how you guys run landscaping and lawn maintenance companies out there.

10. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Matt,
    people pay for 150k plus jobs in Ohio all the time. One of my former employees worked for a guy out of Medina who did nothing but largescale jobs. Like Koot said they don't give them to young 5yr old companies, but to the respected older companies. Younger companies can land decent sized jobs, just not that large.