Anyone topdress with sand?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by tamo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I was talking to my seed guy and he suggested topdressing with a combo of peat moss and sand. I used it last fall on a few overseedings and aerations and got tremendous results.

I've read that most on here topdress with compost. Anyone else use sand?

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

In speaking with the head grounds master at The Georgia Club (Golf Course), all they use is sand! Lots say its fine, but most say never to use all sand. I am interested in hearing the outcome of this thread.

Sand for me would be great as our soil here is clay.

3. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I worked on the grounds crew at a top notch golf course for a few years so when my seed guy suggested sand it made sense to me because I saw the results on the course.

I'm curious to see what other have to say as well. All I know is that my customers have been very pleased with the results.

4. greenhornet

greenhornet LawnSite Member

how would you suggest putting down a combo of peat moss and sand? mix the two first and then fan out with a shovel or what?

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

For years, and years and years many lawn care companies around here marketed and promoted gypsum, in either powdered or (later) pelletized form, as a way to "loosen up" the heavy clay soils..like S.W.Ohio has.

And this made sense to many in the '80s and '90s...still does in fact...if they haven't done their homework about gypsum!

Yes...gypsum has the potential to help "break up" heavier clay soils; but only IF it is INCORPORATED INTO THE SOIL, and not just "broadcast onto" the soil, like (most) people do !!

Otherwise...what happens ??
    Increased sheet wash of rain and irrigation water....BIG TIME.

What's the only other benefit of gypsum ?
    Calcium.
    .......nope....don't need any more of that here, where our soil is derived directly from our limestone / dolomite bedrock, that was once the bottom of an ancient shallow sea !!

When I went out on my own in 1993 I decided to try to market course sand as an alternative to gypsum, for yards that were dense clay and / or for when customers inquired about it. That has worked pretty well.

And Yes,
    I actually DO use an honest-a-goodness manure spreader in my business, to top dress soccer fields, and larger residential lawns of people who are truly 'receptive' to having decayed horse poop mixed with leaves on their yard !! :laugh:

I try to combine all of the following into one job, in this order:
    multiple-pass core aeration, a liquid application of endo mycorrhizae, course sand, seeding where necessary, and top-dressing with about 1/3 " compost that's been seasoned well.

6. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

Yeah, I get 1/4 yard of river sand and a large bale of peat moss and mix them up in my trailer. Lawns in my area are pretty small so that's enough for 3-4 lawns.

I aerate then fan the combo out with a large scoop shovel and rake it in. If overseeding is needed I would do that before the topdressing

7. cgaengineer

My question is, can I topdress after dethatching while bermuda is dormant? Now would be a great time to do it as the soil is exposed and the grass is thin.

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don’t sand destroy or decks.:waving:

9. cgaengineer

The nice thing about sand is its easy to work with, flows well and is cheap. If sand will do what I need I will use it in a heartbeat.

I understand that golf courses get alot more attention then a home lawn, but if they can do it why cant I? I know for a fact that most golf courses have a few inches of sand on them.

10. cgaengineer

Can you explain?