Anyone towing enclosed with halfton??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmanak, Jan 2, 2006.

1. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone is towing an enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup, im rated at 8100#'s, but is it worth getting close to my gvwr. I need an enclosed because
    A. I dont have a garage, and cant justify the money for a storage building
    B. Its nice to be able to lock everything up at night
    C. No problems when it rains.
    D. i can also use it for other things, like moving, camping, 4 wheeling. etc.

I guess is what i need to figure out is how heavy the gear will be. looking at
    1. toro z 46inch or bigger
    2. 2 trimmers
    3. 2 blowers
    4. edger
    5. 2 walk behind 21in
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

You should be alright with a 6x12 or any single axle enclosed. With the equipment you listed you may have roughly 1500lbs in gear. Make sure you get a good sized tranny cooler. I would love to get an enclosed just for the reasons you listed, but I have too much equipment for even a 12 or 14 footer and I think a 16 ft. would be a little too heavy with the equip. Also look into a set of trailer brakes, I know my 6.5x12 open trailer fully loaded is sometimes tough to slow down especially when stopping quick.
  3. grassmanak

i tow my boat with ease, and its dry weight is 5000#'s. With gas and gear probably around 6000. It is a tandem axel with surge breaks, never have had a problem stopping, just dont drive so fast i guess. Im mainly interested in a 8' x 20' enclosed. They are about 3500 dry, with gear around 5000#s or so.
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2 enclosed trailers a 6x10 that we pull with a Ford f-150 no problems and a 8x16 that we pull with a Chevy 2500 no problems. I have pulled the 16 with the F-150 in emergency situations and its no fun but it works, it just is very slow which I don't understand because they both have 8 cylinder engines, both are small block, the Chevy must have better gearing is all I can figure out. I would think a tandem axle would be better to take the weight off the tongue, at the very least give some thought to loading placement to balance the trailer.
  5. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Had a friend who pulled a 20ft enclosed tandem that hauled a sprint car to the races with a 1997 F150 ext cab long box with a 4.6 and really had no real problems or sagging as long as you use load levelers. I drove a 1983 half ton Chevy single cab with a 305 and 150,000miles on it in 1990 to Arizona pulling a UHaul tandem 12ft way over loaded and made it. But I like 3/4 and 1 tons better for the job.
  6. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I have a silverado 1500 with the 5.3(I think), anyways, I thought I was going to need to get electric brakes with my 6x12, but the trailer guys said I didnt need it. I figured I would be back there in a couple weeks need to get the brakes.

I was wrong, my truck is rated at almost 295hp and I barely can fee the trailer behind me. Also I zero problems stopping.
  7. grassmanak

im already set up for electric brakes, not really gonna worry about it, im gonna look at both the haulmark 18 and 20 footers.
  8. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a 7 X 16 tandem enclosed, and my 1500 pulls it fine. Its an 04 GMC Sierra Z-71 with a 5.3. I have a 50" DC, 48" Lesco WB, 2 push mowers, 3 trimmers, 2 backpacks, handheld blower and an assortment of tools and other things. At times i would like to have a 2500, but the 1500 burns enough fuel the way it is.
    I will get a 2500 the next time, especially if i put a plow on.

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

This is my setup:

1500 with V6 4800lb towing

14x7 enclosed trailer

3 mowers, 1 44'' ZTR 1 32" wb and a 21"

It will pull it with no problem, just slow as all getout.

Suprisingly, she does not sag in the rear at all, sits level.
  10. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

F150 5.4 373 rear end.
    No problems with 7x16.