Anyone tried Craigslist for contracts?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jan 28, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I was searching on craigslist and noticed that there are tons of differnt apartments and rental properties but only a hand full of them post there phone number. Would you guys consider typeing up a nice letter and bulk e-mailing it to all of them? Or is this just to unprofessional?

2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I advertise my lawn business on Craigslist and when I started out last year, I did call rental properties from the paper to see if they were interested in service. Got a few customers from it, but it was time consuming.

The only difference in bulk emailing folks from craigslist is the part of the post at the very bottom that might say "it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests".

I get craploads of spam email from people on craigslist taking my email and adding it to their mailing list. Ranging from people offering marketing services, pens with my business info (took that offer, they are neat), all the way down to ***** enlargement pills.

In the long run, I really can't stand that people don't respect that I don't want to receive this crap from them. I just want to advertise my business.

It is your decision, you may piss somone off, but you may get some new clients. Personally, I would just keep your ad posted on CL every other day. If folks are using craigslist to sell/rent a property, they'll probably check craigslist when they need it serviced.

Hope this helps.

3. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would just post an add with your business info on there. I did it and got a one time mowing from it. I also got a guy who gave me the run around and was looking for the cheapest person. After 2 other people from CL came out and did a half-butt job he called me back. I had to RAISE my price because they took the pine needles he wanted removed from under the pine trees (LOTS of pine trees with mulch around them) and tossed it into the woods in big piles. He then wanted me to remove the piles from the woods!!!! He was trying to sell the house so it looked bad. I told him he gets what he pays for.

4. FordLawnLandscape

FordLawnLandscape LawnSite Member

I posted an ad on CL about 3 months ago and im YET to recieve a single phone call w/ someone responding to it!!:confused:

5. MowHouston

Criagslist is really only effective if you live within the municipalities of a large city.

If I lived 100 miles out of Houston and advertised on Craigslist, I wouldn't get any business from it because the majority of its viewers are within the city.

For small towns, I think a constant display ad in the newspaper is your alternative.

6. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Craigslist tends to attract people looking for REALLY good deals. If you are a lawn care service that does not want to give its services away for next to nothing I wouldn't bother. Every once and while I type the key word "lawn care" in my area to see what is out their and what do think I find? People advertising for $15 cuts. I guess it does not hurt to advertise on craigslist, but if you do get any calls be prepared to deal with a lot of cheap people.

7. MowHouston

This is true. When I started up and started using craigslist, I saw a few guys saying "Any lawn $25".

One of those guys is out of business and the other does everything by bid now lol.

Second, I direct people from craigslist to my website. There, they can see my service area, services, and prices for services. I also state that services start at $30.

-Then- they can contact me. Let the other guys deal with the cheap cuts.

You've just gotta weed out those guys from the beginning. That's the lesson I learned.

8. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the easiest way to get contact info for all of the local complexes?

9. MowHouston