1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried ECS controls?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagman, Feb 8, 2002.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I want a 48" viking they have ECS only (i think). I put my hands on them at the dealer, they felt ok. Im so used to pistols and they seem easier to man handle onto curbs ect. I did a search on this and read by L.G.F that Exmark is going to stop production on pistol grips. I guess I better get used to it, because ive been convinced that Exmark is the best. For those that have tried ECS what do you think?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What does ECS stand for?
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Enhanced Control System
  4. sid

sid Banned

Much better than pistols, more precise than t-bar. Takes longer to train on than t-bar but pistols have nothing on ECS.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Ive used the ECS exmarks several times. Yes, I think they are a little more comfortable than pistal grips but I feel pistal grips are still the best all around. I just dont feel like i could manhandle and lift the front of the mower up as easily with the ECS.
  6. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, thats what im worried about being to man handle the machine in tight spots, hills, and on to curbs ect. Anyone else tried these out on curbs ect?
  7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 36" Turf Tracer with the ECS controls and I love it. I am tall and I like the extra height I have for my hand position. I also like my hands being inside more for protection from rubbing against trees or etc. I can still muscle it around, maybe even easier than with pistol grips. I also think you can be easier in turns and feather it around much nicer than with pistol's. That is what I have found and my opinion.
  8. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

ECS is terrible. That will be the worst mistake Exmark will ever make if they get rid of pistol grips.
  9. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

ECS was a good idea but if needs work. I am good friends with an exmark salesman and he said that they weren't going to do away with the pisol grips. We did demo one and our guys didn't want to use it I guess when you are used to things a certain way you don't like change.
  10. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

can't you let the grips out real quick on an ECS to wheelie the front up? Espeaciley with the hydro models i don't think that would be too hard?