Anyone tried fabricating a gator-rator type aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinman, Oct 21, 2004.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Anyone tried fabricating a gator-rator type aerator (aerator that is mounted on the front of their ZTR. If so please post pictures & any problems that you had making it work. Thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't, but I've certainly thought of it. I have an old rototiller from a John Deere 212 that would work great for it.

3. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I'm going to get a guy who works on stuff for me to try & make something like that for me. Looks pretty simple, just needs to be very heavy duty I think. And Not sure how tight a turn you could make without bending the tines or spikes .

4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

you cant turn really with the gator rator. i believe you raise the aerator after each pass :)

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking thru this. The ones available are very expensive and I have been trying to work on some details. The tines are the main concern. Thay have to pivot indivually for the sharp turning of the ZTR so each tine or set of tines have to pivot on their own. The wheels and frame are simple and the lift mechanism is a 12 volt electric arm used on a full size satelite dish. They are used on units like the gator rator and also used on motorcycles with sidecars.

I think the tines are best bought already made because the can be somewhat complex with all the movements involved. There are some available in sets that I have found, but they are $200 per and it would take 5 sets to make one of decent width of about 40 - 48 ".

6. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

gl1200a they have tines on ebay for like a buck something each, try searching :waving:

7. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I mean an entire assembly including two sets of tines, hubs bearing assemblies, mounting hardware and all.

8. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

The dealer mentioned that Ryan tines were used on the gator rator, when I needed replacements.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Go to your local golf course maybe you can buy a worn out aerator and rob the parts from it. I have a couple that I have bought at sales and they work great.