Anyone tried one of those puck style trailer locks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Oct 24, 2008.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I just tried out one of the puck style "daplug" pintle locks that one of the lawnsite sponsors sells. I have to say it's a really heavy duty lock and would take quite a bit of time to defeat with normal tools. Has anyone else tried these locks?
    I have been looking for a lock to help deter someone from hooking up my chipper which I occasionally have to leave on site in rural locations. Up until now, I have been using a gorilla style lock which I now think is flimsy compared to this lock and have not slept well knowing that theft is a big concern out here in boonies. I also wanted something compact that I could keep in my toolbox.
    In addition to disabling as many of the controls as possible, I now have what I think is a much better way of protecting the lunette eye from hookup and wanted to share it.

Any thoughts?

puck lock.jpg

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Like they say locks only keep honest people from stealing it. If somebody wants it bad enough it will be gone. A chipper or compressor etc all it takes is a truck with a hiab or a rollback tow truck the chipper is gone.

Best theft deterent is a high voltage shock that makes people back off if they get a good arc off their hand :laugh:

I noticed in your picture the lunette eye is bolted to the reach of the trailer thats a weak link the 4 bolts come off another ring bolted on off they go with your trailer.

3. YellowDogSVC

from TX

yeah, I noticed that about the bolts but I'm going to weld around it. It's a 12k lb chipper and 11.5' tall so I don't think it will fit too well on a rollback but it's the hookup and take off scenario I am trying to dissuade.

4. Gravel Rat

You don't really want to weld the bolts all you need is to use is stover nuts you have to take them off with a impact wrench. If the bolts go into a threaded block then locktite.

It is surprising how many theives have cutting torches so nothing is really no match. Many theives have battery powered sawsalls.

A way to lock one of the wheels or two of the wheels is a sure fire way of preventing theft. If it can't roll the only way they are stealing it is with a crane.

5. YellowDogSVC

from TX

i was just going to weld plate to plate along the edges. I haven't found a sawzall that would cut through this lock or my pintle plate. I have an 18 v battery powered and it just aint that strong. sheet metal, yes. Plate and cast, no.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Some liquid Nitrogen is what thieves here use, the only defense is un-bolt the hitch off the trailer, and remove the wheels and a GPS system in the trailer frame, but for such a small trailer (like a chipper) it's just best to take it home.
    I've left my GN trailer at a job once, and it was out in the open, no tire tracks other than mine were near it, I guess no one but 4 dairy farmers I know of has the same hitch as I do.

7. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

Yellowdog: I am in contact with Ken (The owner of the lock company) and he shipped me one free so that I can try defeating it. Right now I've got it on my trailer until winter rolls in and I have time to try to get it off. (without the key)

It seems like a pretty sturdy lock. You can get the higher grade lock or you can get a regular American Lock. The higher grade lock has never been drilled or picked. The collar part is probably 6 or 7 pounds alone since it is solid. I'll have Ken come take a look at this thread. I'm sure he can answer any questions you have.

8. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

In tests that we have had professionals do....12.5 min. with Plasma cutter that is with everything setup ready to go. Takes special setup of Oxy/Acet. to cut through both the puck lock and lunette setup. The mass of metal is to great for normal Oxy/Acet. rigs. The pile of molten metal shall catch almost everything close by.... to catch fire but it was done in 43 min.
    Probably the biggest issue was ...the setting in which all of these efforts were tried under. If the trailer was out in the open...someone would notice the tremendous sparks and issues involved. Sledge Hammers were useless along with crow bars. In addition for something like $15 extra the whole unit can be heat treated...we have puck locks that have defied bypassing. What we offer is the best...yet and we continue to upgrade.....the feedback is great. Thanks Ken

9. Gravel Rat

Anything that can prevent the quick get away with the stolen trailer is the main part. It all depends on how valueable the trailer is or the compressor etc.

If the thief wants the trailer etc bad enough anything can be stolen.

To answer Ken's question I don't see anything that can be improved on the current pintle eye lock. Anything that plugs the hole and is hard to remove without keys is good.

If a theif has a cutting torch they are going to be cutting the hitch off or cutting the bolts and putting another hitch on.

10. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, but I'm going to say that the vast majority of thieves are opportunists that won't be carrying torches and extra hitch rings with them in case they see a chipper with a pintle hitch that has a lock that hey want to steal.

I've stopped several thieves with simple, easy to defeat padlocks over the years. On my OROPS dozers you have a little panel that comes up and covers the gauges/starter button that you just padlock in place. I know someone tried to steal it because it was made out of fiberglass and someone tried to bash through the fiberglass with a rock.