Anyone Tried Service Magic??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slewis70, Mar 29, 2010.

1. slewis70

slewis70 LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried using Service Magic? It is an inernet based outfit that advertises, gets good search result placement and then charges you for sending leads. The cost is per lead and can go to up to four providers total. Just wondered if anyone had used the service...pros & cons.
  2. coxslawncare

coxslawncare LawnSite Member

I used them about 4 years ago and would not recommend them to anyone. I only signed up for a few zip codes but was getting calls from all over the state. Most of these calls were for fertilizer which I do not do (I had not clicked that I did applications). I called and told them and I was told that there was nothing that they could do because the leads had already been sent. I was with them for 3 weeks and did not get but 1 mowing call which is all I was looking for and ended up owing them 800 and some dollars which was automatically drafted out of my account. The one mowing call I got after pricing it the lady says thank you I was wondering what I should be paying my son to cut it.
  3. slewis70

slewis70 LawnSite Member

NICE!...thanks for the heads up...anyone else with experience?
  4. rjh4758

rjh4758 LawnSite Member

I signed up on their site last night but after reading the fine print I smelled a scam. So I decided againt using them

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

stay away, they are the biggest scammers on the net. i tried them and 90% of the leads were no good. i think in a year i got 1 or 2 jobs out of it.they were sending me leads for home remolding and same thing told me to bad the lead was sent out already. even after i canceled they were still sending me leads and trying to get more money from them. i gave them a credit card # that i just used for them. i had to call the credit card company and have them refuse payment. they just wouldnt stop they still want me to pay them 200 for leads they sent me 2-3 weeks after i had canceled.
  6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

yeah stay away from them. i used them last year, and i got a few accounts but i spent alot of money on leads that i didnt land which isnt worth it in my opinion!
  7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I have no problems with them. I stay on top of my account online. I have had leads refunded most of the time if they aren't the homeowner. I occasionally get offers out side of my coverage area but they tell you this lead is outside of your coverage area would you still like to accept if you do your screwed if you don't there no charge.
  8. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

I submitted info partially to them last year, but never went through with it, seemed too much like a scam. Then had a representative, named wayne i believe, constantly call me daily, multiple times a day to try and get me to sign up. Became quite annoying. He would start calling from roughly 7am all day long. Got to the point where I ended up loosing my cool on an already bad day and told him exactly what I though about him, his job, the company he works for and what he should go do, and what I was going to do if the calls didnt stop. Needless to say the calls stopped. These internet scams are getting out of control. Best form of advertizing via the world wide web would be to have a professional web site, full of information and pics of the work you do. Throw the web address on your trucks, trailers, shirts ect. Sometimes its easier for a potential client to remember a website then it is a phone number.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's not the first time I've seen a thread about this company,
    and although I've never used them I also don't recall anyone
    ever saying much of anything positive.

This thread is no exception, unanimously speaking, I am pretty sure I've heard that story
    concerning the costly bad leads before as well as I have difficulty understanding
    how so many Lco's on this site could have possibly made the same mistake.

Usually that's quite the clue when it comes to scams.
    Apparently this is definitely a company to avoid.
  10. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Do a search for this topic in the archives. stay far far away from them.