Anyone tried the Stihl FC85 edger vs. Redmax 2500S ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TurfPro, Jan 30, 2004.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

I've narrowed my choice of edgers down to the Stihl FC85 and the Redmax 2500S. I'd like to hear from someone who has either USED or preferably has OWNED both.

The Sthil : Proven performer ,like the extra guide wheel right on the gear case. Has supposed no-clog design . Drawback, uses catalytic converter to meet EPA Regs.
    I also considered the Stihl FC110,,any input?

Redmax : I love their engines. Strato-Charged engine meets EPA w/o cat-converter. Good fuel economy.
    Drawbacks: No guard wheel on gearcase. looks like it would be hard to control cut depth w/o it as opposed to Stihl. Don't know if it has a no-clog style guard??

Anyone who has used both please provide your input. Thanks!

hez2500s.jpg

2. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Redmax... hands down...not even close

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The FC85 is a curved shaft edger. It has plenty of power but I don't care much for the curved shaft. If you can find an FS85 trimmer with the solid steel drive shaft and buy the edger attachment you'll have an edger that can't be beat. I prefer the straight shaft over the curved shaft. Another alternative is the new Stihl split boom 4 mix trimmers. You can get several different attachments to fit the straight shaft and have a multiuse tool. They're a bit more expensive, but eventually 4 mix will be all that's available.

4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2 year old fc 85 edger. Ive never had any problems with it and it will really go through some tuff stuff.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

WRONG!!! The FC85 is the straight shaft. Its the one with the no clog head. I have it, I love it. Been in lots of mud, it never allows the blade to stop spinning. It works great. I would buy the 4 mix stick edger now. The torque is awesome.

6. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

Have the stihl and like it. There are two thicknesses of blades you can buy. Get the thicker, more epensive one. It lasts longer and works better.

7. Kelly & Sons

Kelly & Sons LawnSite Member

Stihl.

8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i have the stihl stick edger. not happy with it's performance. the wheel is annoying and the throttle sticks. i would love a redmax edger, all the rest of my 2 cycle is redmax

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

My mistake. The curved shaft edger from Stihl is the FC75. I stand corrected.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, the 75 is the curved one. No problem.

I will be demoing the 4-mix equipment soon. I'll post my thoughts hopefully next week.