1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone try "Speed Up Kit" for Walker ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerdave, Jul 15, 2007.

1. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

Has any one ever tries one of these. The manual says that it will speed ground travel up by 1.5 mph. Doesn't sound like much, but I guess after a full days mowing, it would add up. Not even sure fo the price yet.
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I sure am hoping somebody would respond to this, because I was thinking of getting one myself. Cutting speed is fine but would like to have somemore speed for going to dump. And one I am not talking about turtling, well maybe sometimes.
  3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one and it really is good when double cutting with my mulching deck or SD deck, but it is hard to keep a straight line going that fast, at least it is for me.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Wanted it...but don't work on small commericial unit.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Have it, works fine and it's cheap.
  6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Are these something that can be installed by the owner or would you sugest the dealer install it?
  7. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

They work fine. I installed one on a mower and very easy to do if you are mechanically inclined. Just make sure the pulley's are lined up which is easy to do.
  8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

OH YES!!! THE speed up kit was an absolute necessity in my opinion. I use a 52 side discharge and I am ALWAYS mowing full speed with it. They just like for you to get used to the machine for a number of hours before putting the speed up kit (which is just a pulley change). BUT BY ALL MEANS, get it. With the master forward so smooth on walker, you can always limit your fastest constant ground speed anyway if you need to go a steady 5 or 6 mph.
  9. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I will never run a Walker without one. The 1.5 mph difference is very noticeable. The controls are a little more touchy when at full speed but after and hour of two you will adapt to it.
  10. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information, I think I will be looking into getting one of these ordered.