Anyone try the Great Dane gateway walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IBGreen, Sep 11, 2002.

1. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I was browsing through Great's web site and saw their new Gateway walk behind looks efficient, anyone used one?

Brandon Shaw
    Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw something even better than that. It is 48" deck WB and deck flips 90 degrees and then you can go through a gate that is about 33". It is called the Hustler Gatemaster that is to come out in December and January once field testing is done. Go to the Hustler forum on this site. The first thread has I think 36 pictures of the Gatemaster. I'm ready to buy one.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

This is the GateMaster

gm1.jpg

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Another view of the GateMaster........

gm2.jpg

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

How about this one - eXmark 36" WB with the Flex-Deck[​IMG]

36x-trans-driveway.jpg

6. Flex-Deck

Mows between narrow things, that straight decks can not do[​IMG]

52x-between post.jpg

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like your unit is off-set to the deck Brad which might make it tough to get through a true 36" gate. I also think that PJs unit has a much better trimming ability to get under pin oaks and the like because of the extreme off-set drive unit.

Just my .02

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

This is the offset of a GateMaster.

gm4.jpg

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Guess Not. My bad!!! LOL.

Sorry Brad. Its amazing how photography can enhance the appearance of a machine. Apparently there isnt much difference in trimming ability.

10. Flex-Deck

kutnkru - there is a big difference in trimming - My deck is offset on the front corner, and moves straight sideways when you turn allowing it to poke between tombstones and bushes that are only 26" apart, whereas decks that are straight lateral or offset on the back corner do not penetrate between narrow objects in a direct manner - "Just go tape a 21" round piece of cardboard on the front corner of your deck - I don't care if it is a ZTR, WB, Tractor, or front mount - they all send the Flex-Deck directly sideways when turning which results in square corners with out the wheel running over the landscape edging, or you can poke it between stuff.

I like the Hustler controls and the Hustler deck is a natural to mount the Flex-Deck on. It goes on the eXmarks very well too, but there is more cutting and welding involved\

My web page has a mounting manual on it now (PDF file) that gives you a general idea of what is involved in mounting the deck. There are some things you do not have to cut as radically on most decks, we just are trying to show the most radical proceedures.

[​IMG]

52x-between tree house legs.jpg