Anyone use a 21" with Caster Wheels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by asyracus, Jul 15, 2004.

1. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I'm just curious if any of you use a 21" with caster wheels. I saw one of those recently, and don't quite know what to make of it!

It looks like it would work well, but how does it handle on steep slopes? I'm considering getting one.

Thanks!

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I love my Cub with casters.No picking up the front to turn,just swing it around and go.
    As for steep hills,I have to lock the front wheels in order to go across a slope.I mowed a slope yesterday that was so steep the mower slid sideways down the hill with them locked.I could barely stand on this slope though.It had just finished raining too.
    Been using it all season for trimming with no problems.

3. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I'm considering the self propelled MTD with the Kawasaki engine that's sold at Sam's Club. I think it's ~$400.00.

4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Had an Ariens SW21. LOVED it. I ended up selling it when I bought my WB. Built like a tank, would buy one again.

5. shiznitttt

shiznitttt LawnSite Member

I have a crafstman with the 6.5 Honda motor on it. I love it for doing small yards, and being self propelled, starts on the first pull everytime, and cuts all day using little gas, the deck has held up, as well as the wheels very nicely. I would love to buy another one but Sears quit selling them.