Anyone use a 3 point finish mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, May 18, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

I was approached by a LCO today who wants to get away from his large commercial properties and I gave him a quote on the lot of them.. I know a ZTR would be ideal but has anyone used a 5 or 6 foot 3 point finish mower? I have a JD 4100 to pull it and it would be cheaper than buying a ZTR right now.. hopefully next season Ill be able to purchase one

2. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Its a good idea if the client won't mind. I know the commercial accounts I have would have a cow if I put a "tractor" on their property.

3. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

I think your WB would cut just as fast or faster as a tractor. Maybe pick up another WB for the year to get you through.....Chuck

4. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

It will work, but the Z is definately the better option. The Z will be much faster and provide a better quality cut. In addition, You will more than likely have to put turf tires on the JD if you don't already have them.

I just recently had to make the same decision, and purchased a 72" finish mower for my Kubota tractor. I am happy with the results, and it does a pretty good job.

5. Canadian GreenScape

So heres the update.. got a call from the other LCO awhile ago and I got the jobs.. Now I really need to decide. I actually have a 54" belly mower and turf tires on loan from John Deere to see if i like the set up and I do except for the price .. ($4000 CDN) so I was wondering if a used finish mower would be eaier to find.. Im going to need something fast. It would be nice to use the 4100 b/c I use it for snowblowing in the winter and small landscaping in the slow mowing months so to be able to have not sitting idle would be a bonus. We'll see...

6. Canadian GreenScape

The 4100 with the 54" belly mower does a pretty nice job, its more the wide turning radius (conpared to a ZTR) that makes me think twice about using it..

4100 stripes.jpg

7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I would bite the bullet now. some companies have not tapped in to new steel which means the price on exsisting mowers is holding. Soon as dealers get in new invetory built from new steel the price is going to be dramatic, atleast this is what I am told. Besides once you have the z mower of your choice you will be looking to take on more work. You will knock out your yards a lot faster with the z style mower.

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Canadian, something you also need to consider is trucking the equipment. The tractor and 3 ph mower will take up your complete 16' trailer so you will be making a dedicated trip to this property. Is the job big enough to justify the drive time both ways? I have a Ford 1520 and a rear deck and I never consider using it for cutting other properties. I have other equipment that takes less room and cuts faster. If I were you I would consider renting a ZTR for a month before purchasing if money is a problem. Maybe a LCO from nearby would rent a machine one day a week?