Anyone use a 4 cyl truck?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Jul 28, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I am getting tired of paying close to $1000 dollars a month for fuel. I have a 2000 3/4 ton suburban that averages around 12 mpg. I was looking at getting a 4 cyl s-10 pickup to use when running errands, doing estimates, and carrying very light loads. Has anyone done this? Would this hurt my company image? Hurt my chances of getting jobs?

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I have a little car to drive around town instead of the truck. It has saved me tons of $$ in fuel and I save miles on the truck. The car was $4,000 and is pretty fun.

3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not very big, nor do I have signs on my S-10, but I love my S-10.

Its a 4-cylinder 5 speed.

If you ever plan to haul anything bigger than a 5x8, see if you can find a model with the stock 4.10 rear.

Give me a day or so, and I'll get the axle codes, compare them to the codes in the glovebox and you will find out what axle it has.

4. stuffdeer

Found them, Compare these codes to the ones in the glovebox!

G80 = LIMITED SLIP DIFF
    2.73 = GU2
    3.08 = GU4
    3.42 = GU6
    3.73 = GT4, GQ1
    4.10 = GT5

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Had two 2 S-10s the 96 wasn't the best. But the 2000 was good. Both had 4 cylinders the 2000 had a 5 speed. I would be pretty good mileage with 5 speed. And I loaded down fairly heavy a couple of times. Granted I would not want to do that every day but they are a good pickup.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

ditto, I bought a couple of older beemers (one a 91 the other an 88), one is a 4-cyl the other a 6-cyl, either one gets better mpg than the truck, they cost me 4 and 5 thousand each and I keep them clean and shiny (not really) so then I can pretend I am somebody LOL.

Yes, I do errands and even small stuff to customer's yards in my car, sometimes I also use the truck but leave the trailer behind this also helps.

Does it hurt my image? I don't think so, most ask quite honestly what is up with this from time to time, and I flat out mention that the car gets a lot better gas mileage and ohhh ok that takes care of it, never a funny or quizzical look after that. You can easily fit a rake, a blower, chainsaw, trimmer, most any small stuff in a car so if I got a bunch of hedge trimming to do, I load trimmer + rake + tarp + blower in the trunk and off I go... I do make sure it doesn't have the 21" sticking out the trunk but even if it did, you can just pretend you were picking your mower up from repair thou whether I'd go grass-cutting in the car is another story (I usually pick jobs where I know I won't get real dirty).

yes, i do this quite often, saves me a LOT of money.

7. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Just to clarify I have 16' double axle trailer that gets loaded a couple of times a week pretty heavily. This vehical would just be used when I didn't need to carry much weight. Like estimates...followups....fertilizations, or when the materials were already on-site.

8. stuffdeer

S-10 Would be perfect.

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Well if it is going to be used JUST for that... I think it would be a waste of money (depending on how big you are). If you are going to use the smaller truck for personal use also, might be worth while.

btw, my car gets 34 mpg vs. 13 mpg... BIG difference.

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

image? youll look more like a lawnboy in an s-10 than a suburban.