1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Use a 5' x 8'?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Dstosh, May 11, 2003.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I need a trailer and I was shopping around and the only thing I might be able to afford is a 5 x 8 and that is probably the max my suv can pull..Just wondering if anyone uses one and if it gets you by? And Can you fit 2 w/b's on there? I dont have one none the less two but I am just speculating.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is my 5' X 8' trailer. A 36" WB and a 21" fit just right. I can put a power rake and edger on the back yet if I need to. I have had a 52" WB and a 21" on this trailer. I don't htink it is long enough for two WB unless they are on the short side. maybe a 36" or 32" sideways thena 48 backed in with the handle over the front mower?? I am thinking a 5' X 12' would be about right for 2 WB mowers.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I use a 5'x10' and haul a 36" and 52" WB.
    They JUST fit, I have to really push the gate to get it to close.

It sucks!!! I know you say you can only afford a 5'x8', but you will likely regret it in the near future. I know I do. I wish I had got a 5'x12' at the very least. Now I'm in the market for a larger trailer which means spending even more money.

What kind of SUV are you driving? Do you have plans to get a pick up truck or are you staying with the SUV?

Does it already have a hitch or is it a bumper hitch? Either way, what is the vehicle rated at for towing?

Look on ebay for trailers (put "utility trailers" in the search).

Good luck.
  4. harpoonalt

harpoonalt LawnSite Member

I have a 5 X 8 that will soon be replaced by a 5 x 10 or 12. I fit a 48" tthp and trim mower and have room for a 30 gallon trash can. Trimmers go on racks and everything else is in truck bed under a tonneau cover. If you're just mowing solo, it will work, but if you do anything else, you'll want more room. I have to stay smaller so it will fit in my garage, and my operation would probably work best with a 5 x 12. If the 5 x 8 is all you can afford, by all means start with it and see how it goes. It can be done. The worst thing about the smaller trailers is they are a pain to back up. You'll learn, but they are pretty twitchy. Be creative with your space and you'll do fine. I'm sure you'll hear that the trailer will be too small, but you have to start somewhere and starting is the key. It beats not starting at all. It's not the equipment you use so much but how you use it. Good luck.:D
  5. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

I just started this year and went with a 5x10 so it would just fit in my garage.

I was going to get the 5X8 and I'm glad I didn't! Advice here is excellent.

I also am using an SUV and I'm having no problems fitting all my stuff, but I am solo and new, so I only have limited equipment. I even use the trailer for hauling away spring clean up stuff.

The SUV can be used for 2 cycle equipment, fertilizer, etc., but my Lesco spreader, 21 mower, 48" w-b, garbage can, and branches/debris need to go in the trailer. I don't think the 5x8 would have done it with my limited use SUV. I also need to get attachments for gas cans because I'm sick of keeping them in the back of an enclosed vehicle, and holders for my trimmer, tools, etc.

Best thing for me was to go and look at the trailers in person, jump on the 5x8 and jump on the 5x10.

You didn't mention what kind of 5x8. Watch out for consumer models that are not good ideas for commercial use. The commercial ones I saw were only $100 more for each two feet.

6. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

gogetter ,

My truck is a 94' GMC Jimmy with a 4.3..It has a trailer hitch..not a bumper hitch..I have pulled a 6 1/2' x 12 with it but it sure as heck doesnt like to do it. I want to get a pick up truck and my uncle may sell me a 89' Gmc serria with 155k and a blown up motor 4x4 but that will probably take all summer to raise the money to get it fixed or I will have to sell my jimmy to afford to pay for it and i will be screwed out of a vechicle for a while but who knows. I really want to get at least a 6 1/2' x 12 I think that would be perfect and If i can get a truck i will be golden.

Thanks alot
  7. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Nice set-up Groundskeeper.
    From an accountant's viewpoint I like seeing solo operators with the right amount of equipment and the right size trailer.

IF you did need more space, moving the tanks and blowers into a box welded up 2' above the deck would give a bit of precious space. Also I've seen expanded metal welded on the tongue of a utility trailer. Trash cans and tool boxes then fit nicely in front of the trailer with the weight on the tongue.

Even if you run with two people that set-up works fine.

I saw an outfit drive by me today with I swear to God 8 mowers on somethin like a 24' trailer, and just ONE guy. I can't figure that out....?
  8. harpoonalt

harpoonalt LawnSite Member

I agree Green. The set-up in the picture looks well thought out and very efficient. (Good job). Layout the equipment you have and figure out from that what size trailer you need. There is no magic size, just what's right for you and your operation. Forget about who's is bigger. The old saying about it's not the size but what you do with it is very true here. I've seen big trailers that look like a rolling yard sale and smaller trailers like greenskeepers setup that look sharp and professional. Your trailer is a reflection of you and your work as well. keep it neat and organized. People do notice. Good luck
  9. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

By Green In Idaho "I saw an outfit drive by me today with I swear to God 8 mowers on somethin like a 24' trailer, and just ONE guy. I can't figure that out....?"

Hey Green in Idaho- I'm solo and check out my equip. list in my sig. Paying $10/hour to an employee costs me almost $20K/year. I can buy enough equip. with that 20K to make me more productive as a solo than most 2 man operations. Plus after one year my equipment is just broken in. The 20K to the employee is long gone.
  10. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Barkley's list:
    2003 Chevy 2500HD Ext.Cab. 6L V8
    2002 Haulmark 24' enclosed trailer

1) '99 Dixie 60" Flatlander 25HP Kohler w/trakvac,
    2) 2002 HP 52" 23HPKawi, Exmark Lazer
    3) '00 Lesco 48" Hydro WB 17HP Kawi,
    4) '98 Lesco 36 Gear WB 14HP Kawi,

9 HP Honda Little Wonder blower,
    Lesco-claussen aerator
    Lesco tow aerator,
    Kawi, Echo, and Stihl 2cycle equipmen

You don't list a 21" so I'll assume you use the 36 for small work. That means you probably need that one. And then a 60 for your money maker.
    Why have a 48"? It's almost a repeat of the 36". And it's only 4" less than the 52". If you can rationalize four big mowers then why not five? And six?
    How did you decide, I have 60" but I need a 52"?

One person more productive than two?

Please enlighten me how your $20k helps you be more efficient than two people to the tune of MORE than $20K.

I'm sorry but you only have 24 hours in the day. And you only have 8-10 of billable time for one person. I would rather have 20 hours of billable in every day and make a good net profit of each each. The more billable the more money. As one person you will NEVER make more than your billable x the available hours. As an employer the sky is the limit.

If you really want to be productive, you ought to hire that additional person to run one of the those excess mowers- put them to use. The $20,000 you pay someone will net you more than $20,000. You already are paying for the truck, trailer, and equipment so your only additional cost is the labor yet you can charge way over the $10 you pay them.

Don't want the hassle of employees and want to be limited in your potential income. Fine. But you might as well at least use YOUR money efficiently.

Hey, why not have 10 mowers sitting in your garage?

How did you come up with "four" big mowers and why those sizes?