Anyone use a 6 cyl truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Four Star, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Four Star

Four Star LawnSite Member

Anyone have a truck with a 6 cylinder that they use to tow their trailer/equipment with?

Is it wise to use one, or will the trans not handle it too well after awhile?

Ford 4.2L is the engine I'm speaking of specifically

2. juststarting023

juststarting023 LawnSite Member

I use my 98 Ranger the last 2 years no problem....

3. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

6 cylinder CUMMINS! :D Depending on what you pull you shouldn't have any problem just keep it in D not OD if it's an auto. Switching between D and OD is what is hard on the transmission.

4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I used one for two years. I didn't have any problems with it.

5. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

I have a '03 Ranger w/a 3.0 v6, have used it for the last year and it has done fine. I pull a 5x10 trailer most of the time but I also use it to pull my 7x16 tandum. No problems so far and I have put 31000 miles on it most pulling a trailer.

6. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I have been using a 6 cylinder Ford F-150 for two years. No problems.

7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

The newer models with fuel injection should do fine. The transmission is what takes a beating depending on the weight you are towing. I started out with an 89 Chevy Astro van. The motor is still good today with 200K on it but the tranny is slipping.

8. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a GMC witha V6 I've used for three years now. 265,000 miles and still running strong.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have used a gmc S15 for 9 years and no problems, I have an open 6x12 trailer. If your truck has an auto transmission i suggest adding an extra cooler to it and changing the fluid every year.

10. greengator

greengator LawnSite Member

I have a 02 Dakota Quad Cab 3.9 that i use, 6x10 52'' lazer z hp 23hp, all the trimmings, no problem pulling it. I also have a 29 ft travel trailer I pull, little different there but still no problem, just up hills and they all have that problem.