Anyone use a Bluebird pull-behind dethatcher?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Jan 7, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have the walk-behind unit, but now I am interested in the pull-behind unit. Has anyone used this unit. I doubt that it compares to the walk-behind due to one has wide flails and the other uses spring tines.

Thank you
    Matt

bluebird.jpg

2. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use a tow behind. It is not a bluebird though. It has spring tines and works great. Customers are amazed when they see all the thatch that it pulls up. I've even had neighbors come watch us and asked what we were doing and asked if we could dethatch their yards also.

3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Cutter... whats the cost on up keep of one of these units?? How many hours run time do you get before the tines wear out??

4. Cutters Lawn Care

I just got it last year and haven't had to invest in maintenance yet. I bought a commercial one from a website that I can't remember. Mine has 6 wheels with a total of about 36 tines per wheel. The wheels are offset so they turn in opposet directions bringing all the thatch to the middle of the dethatcher. I think I paid about $700 for it. If you want website addy let me know and i'll find it for you.

5. walker-talker

from Midwest

I would like to know also....the Bluebird model has been the only one I have seen. I know it runs right around $1500. Thanks for the info.

6. walker-talker

from Midwest

^

7. Cutters Lawn Care

estateyardcare.com

8. BCM

BCM LawnSite Member

what do you guys normally charge to dethatch a yard? do you go by how many sq feet or how long it will take you? i'm thinking about getting in to it but , I don't know if it's worth all the work

thanks

9. Cutters Lawn Care

If i'm charging $50 to cut the lawn I'll charge $100 to dethatch it. First you have to dethatch then when finished go back and bag all the thatch you have brought to surface. It is time consuming but very profitable also. My biggest problem is that only 6 of my customers understand why it's done and the rest real ly don't care to have it done.

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

For fescue lawn I charge about 3.5 times what it cost to cut a lawn. I don't do any of my current mowing clients, but get a lot of "one time" calls on the service. Dethatching warm season grasses is more expensive because there is more to collect.