Anyone use a commercial mower with a steering wheel? - Having rotator cuff surgery

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davidcalhoun, Mar 11, 2011.

1. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Guys,

Just like you have to do maintenance and repairs on an old mower with several hours on it, I am needing a little maintenance and repairs on the body.

The shoulder needs a tune-up/rebuild. I will be having rotator cuff surgery next week. I had hoped that I could go through the season with just some cortisone shots but the Dr. said I had better get the one shoulder done now. He said my other shoulder will need it in a few years also. Don't you love getting older?

So I need some info from you guys who have some experience with some of the commercial mowers out there that use a steering wheel. I know that Cub Cadet has two models out with a steering wheel, the Z-Force S and the TanK S. Another mower that I know of is the Gizmow, but I have not heard anything about them for a while.

Please share you experience with these two brands or any other mower that I might be able to use one arm with.

Thanks,

PS I will probably look for a slightly used mower to buy that fits the bill since I should have full function of the one shoulder in a few months.

2. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

A few years back I was starting to have shoulder problems and retired a nice JD LX277 lawn tractor and got a Scag Wildcat. Cut my mowing time in half and shoulder problem disappeared.

I doubt that you can constantly twist on a stearing wheel with one arm, and after a week or 10 days of recuperation the control arms on a ztr will probably cause fewer physical problems.

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

Dave,
    Might I suggest something like this....:drinkup: I think your left butt cheek would even fit square on the seat.

[​IMG]

Seriously though, it could be a money maker. I'd pay YOU to let me come watch you use it.

4. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

5. davidcalhoun

Raymond S,

It's nice to know you're there for me. I put a steering wheel knob on it from Rural King and I'm all set. It will cost you big time though.

6. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

Walker and the exmark Navigator have controls that are one arm friendly. I'm used to using my left hand....but i'm sure I could learn it both ways.

7. davidcalhoun

Went to a Cub Cadet dealer to see their mowers. I explained to him my desire to see their commercial mowers with the steering wheel. The dealer did not carry any of the Tank S series. He said that they could order the Tank S but they really did not have a market in this area.

The sales guy did show me a Z-Force S. Ergonomically, It was OK. The first thing you notice is the weight ratio. This mower tends to have a more weight on the front castors. Since the front castors are steerable, that makes sense. There is also a little more rear overhang with the engine sticking back further than most. As I looked over the construction, I kept thinking that there was now way they could even call this mower "commercial". I even mentioned to him that the trans specs I saw online (ZT3100) was not quite as "commercial" as I had hoped for. Everything felt "lesser" build than what I would call "commercial". I shared my concerns with the sales guy and he used some sales speak to say that he did not understand why Cub Cadet rated it as "commercial" either.

As I was leaving the dealership, I asked the sales guy for a brochure on the Z-Force S. As I quickly glanced at the specs (the trans was only a Dual EZT), it became evident that the sales guy had shown me the "residential" Z-Force S.

8. NJT

NJT LawnSite Member

When your rotator cuff heals, are you still gonna want a mower with a steering wheel on it?

9. davidcalhoun

Probably not. That is why I am considering a decent used mower. I won't take as big of hit on a used one. I might need this type of mower for a second year. According to my doctor, there is a good possibility that I will have the other shoulder done in the near future.

10. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having the exact same problem with my left shoulder too & I would think it's easier with a ZTR, no problem for me but trimming is hell!