anyone use a distance wheel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jan 27, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

or whatever you call the thing you push around and get the square footage of a property. i was looking at one the other day but i'm not sure if its worth getting.. anyone ever use one and if so, are they fairly accurate? do they help with the estimates?? thanks for replies.
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I mainly use mine to estimate mulch jobs......

3. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

I dont use it on every property but occasionally use it on larger commercial just to be safe on sizes..
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

do they make them for commercial properties? if i got one i'd want it to cover atleast 2000 feet or more. i don't want one where it keeps turning over all the time.
  5. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

I use mine all the time, I couldn't imagine being without it. It only takes a minute to do so I measure all my lawns. It sure helps to order and track my fertilizer and product usage since I KNOW how much square footage I'm doing.
    I used to pace the lawns out 3 feet per pace and my fert usage was always off. Its amazing how much more accurate my spreader is now that I have accurate measurements.
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you are serious about making money, invest in I'd never bid a commercial account without measuring off all the beds and square footage of turf for fertilization and aeration. Estimating can be OK for mowing and such, but for hardscapes,fert,mulch, pays to know exactly what you are bidding on.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have one behind the seat of my truck all the time.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto, same here. Most residential yards you can quess how many feet are in them for mowing. But for fertilizer or herbicides, mulch and aerations I like to have a better idea of how many feet Im dealing with.

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine is with me at all times also, in the side rail toolbox, don't use it all the time anymore but would sure hate to be without it when I do use it.
  10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco sells them for in the $60-$70 range (+/-) or you can try westheffer in Kansas. I think mine from Lesco has at least 5 digits. Like Texas and Impact said, I use to just step my jobs off, but it's amazing how much more accurate you can be. I think it shows the customer you know what you're doing, too. Another trick I use is a little recorder in my pocket on big jobs. Then I don't have paper flying in the wind, pens that won't right in the cold, taking glozes on and off, etc... I can sit in a warm truck or office an transcribe the measurements onto paper and do the math.