1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a Dixie to mulch Floratam grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Jan 23, 2001.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious, do any of you who live here in Fl use a Dixie Chopper with the "magic mulcher" on the deck? If so, how does it do in heavy Floratam grass. It seems that even though we have a dealer here in my town the only people that use them are the ones that mow roads and stuff (mainly Bahia grass). I'd consider getting one because of all the good things everyone says about them, but I've never seen what they'll do in Floratam in July when it's heavy and thick. Side discharging is out of the question for me, most of my lots are 80 x 125.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I like them for mulching leaves. I found out they work pretty good in wet grass for keeping the top of the deck clean. This fall I used the magic mulchers with the double blades too on the diesel, so it was really grinding them leaves up. :)
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

What are you using right now? There is no doubt that the mower will do the job. Close the OCDC and start grinding, run double blades and grind double. I have St. Augustine yards here in Bama and it mulches them better than any thing else.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

He is wanting to know about the "Magic Mulchers" on this grass. This is a bracket that swings 2 short chains just below the top of the underside of the deck. This bracket goes on first just above the blades.
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm currently using a 52" Grasshopper with the mulching deck kit on it. I have no complaints whatsoever about the way it mulches but was just wondering about the Dixies.