1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Use a DumpKit?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by G-K, Jan 22, 2008.

1. G-K

G-K LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

After months of lurking I have joined.

I will be going into my second season of lawncare and Ive learned lots from this site.

Backround: Been a plow driver for 6 years. LAst year I bought a truck and did my own thing since with success. Was a drywaller / handyman most of the time until a family friend needed help mowing lawns twice a week. This was last season and I learned alot from him about the biz. Now Im really getting into this ( got some plow contracts to sign for lawn work). Id rather push a mower in the great outdoors allday than lift 5/8 in a dusty construction site.

enough rif raf.

Im not sold on the Idea of a dump insert. A dump kit seems more Ideal. Lot less added weight , cost is less (costs aboot $1000) and honestly I like the bed of my truck the way it is.
    I want my truck to dump for the same reason most of you do.

Please list your opinions.

oh its a 97 chevy 2500 6.5 diesel :canadaflag:
  2. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

I would just trade the truck now for a 1 ton dump truck or get a dump trailer if you not going to need it for salt the dump trailer can be a cheaper and better option for a guy just starting to get in the biz
  3. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

how would a dump trailer be cheaper? a new dump trailer will go for anywhere from $2500 and up, while a dump kit for the pickup--not a dump insert I assume--would be about $1000.
  4. Isobel

Do you mean the type of kit that turns your existing pickup into a dump bed? I've been thinking of the same thing, but I'm also looking for opinions...

5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have personal experience but i would think you would have to be careful with the dump kits because with heavier materials i would think the bed would tend to flex and could eventualy over time possibly crack the spot welds but i may be wrong.
  6. Isobel

yea, i would think that too.

if I do end up buying one of these, I might just have one of my welder friends stiffen up the underside of the bed.
  7. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I personally would get a dump insert various reasons. I have 2 one ton dumps, great trucks but between gas and no personal use I would definately go insert on 1.
  8. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

The factory bed on your truck is not made to lift and dump. It will bend and welds will break after a couple of months depending on how often you us it. There is a guy around here that tried to take the cheap way out and bought a dump kit. You will save yourself a couple thousand today, to spenf several thousand later. :hammerhead:
  9. kps2389

kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to keep your truck and make it a dump without a dump insert then make it a flatbed dump. The stock bed will break and twist.
  10. G-K

G-K LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

alright so a kit is a bad idea. thanks for the input everyone.