Anyone use A Giant Vac 90BP push blower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Nov 5, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Wanted to see if anyone here uses a Giant Vac 90BP (Classic Model) push blower?
    If so, your likes and dislikes are appreciated.

And if you use the optional hose kit, I'd especially like to hear about your experiences with that.

2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

The 9HP model?
  3. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We have the 11 hp model which I believe is a 93 model. I think it is the same as the classic since it has the heavy metal impellar and heavy metal casing. We have been very happy with the machine. I do find it heavier than the Little Wonder and at times is hard to use on hills. We upgraded the front wheel to a larger one since the original one used to rut the lawns.

We also have the hose kit and have mixed feelings about it. We are using it this season temporarily as a truck loader since our Billy Goat is in the shop. The hose kit works well as long as the leaves are dry and there are no sticks in it. Since it is a 6" hose, it has a tendency to clog easily.

Last year my son sucked up some stones with it and dented the casing badly, breaking off two of the fasteners that hold the front shield on.

All in all a good machine but I would not spend the money on a hose kit unless the leaves you suck up have no stones or gravel in them and there are no sticks.
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Craig, thanks for the review! This one is the 9hp model, so it should be a bit lighter.
    I wondered about that small front wheel, seems to make sense about upgrading it.

As far as the hose, I was actually figuring on using it as a temporary loader, for maybe a season or two at most.
    I just don't have the funds to get a true truck loader at this point, and I'm not crazy about doing it the way I've done the last 2 years.
    I use to get them to the curb and then sub the "suck up" to another company.
    It worked out ok, but sometimes it was a problem with timing and scheduling. Plus I'd rather keep the money that I was giving them.

I realize I would have to be more careful about what I'm sucking up. Maybe just go a little slower. But it will still be faster then tarping and throwing them on my truck/trailer.

I wonder if an 8" hose could be put on it? Trac Vac makes an 8hp loader, and it has 8" hoses. I would think that the Giant Vac having an extra pony (9hp), it should still have good suction with 8" hose.
    The larger hose diameter should cut down on clogging at least some.

Oh well, thanks again. If I decide to get it, I'll be sure to post my experiences with it.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

in regards to larger hoses, it will increase the CFM but reduce the speed of the air. Both important and must be in good proportion for most effecient use of available power and minimal clogging. Keep in mind that while it has more ponies than the Trac vac loader, it also has a larger heavier fan (primarily made to move air not debris which will load it more) and this may cause it to suck in too much debris therefore bogging the machine making it lose engine speed which means less CFM and speed and this can make it clog easier. 6" is working fine for me on 5hp it only clogs if i feed it too much and only at the end of the hose where i can unclog it. Thought about going to 8" but if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Not saying you shouldn't put on 8" just pointing out a few things to consider first. 6" will work fine and 8" will probably work fine as well, just try it with 6" and see what you think. BTW I don't use the smooth bore pipes i'm using the corrugated drain tile pipe from Lowe's the black stuff it works fine no clogs like you would think with the rough ribbing inside and it's so cheap! around $7 or 8 for a 10' section of 6".
  6. The Lawn Boy Pro

I have the 8HP model I got a week ago (from the guy across the street :D for $150.00). So far I have been very impressed. Only thing I would change is the tiny wheel on the front. If you got the upgrade size, it wouldnt make the blower housing ride so close to the ground, which gets stuck on rough terrain. besides that, I love it. It starts on a slow first pull, every time. Get one!
  7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I know what you mean lbp, wish i had one of those:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
  8. The Lawn Boy Pro

Soon enough Austin:D For cryin out loud, hes gettin me a truck first, then a push blower for ya:p .
  9. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

Loren: In case you are interested they make a conversion wheel for your Giant Vac. The one from Giant Vac was too expensive, so I got one from J-Thomas. It is a pneumatic tire and it helped alot.

I am not sure if you can put a 8" hose on the Giant Vac conversion. The hose conversion has a replacement cover which has only a 6" inch intake and I think would be hard to replace unless you cut an 8" hole and weld a new piece on. As far as the exhaust hose, I think you could fabricate one. As long as the leaves are not too wet or bulky, it should work fine. If I get my two boys to use their digital camera, they can take a picture of the setup and give you an idea what it is like. They can probably get some pictures on Saturday if it stops raining. Tim is in college part time and Dan is homeschooled, so their time during the week is pretty book.

Hope this is of help.
  10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Why on earth would you wanna push ANYTHING across a yard?? Jus hop on the mower an wind row em!! JUS MY .O2