1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a jack hammer for digging?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy11, Feb 11, 2001.

1. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

I have seen people using jack hammers on TV to dig hard ground to dig holes. (using a 5" wide bit) I was wondering if anyone had experience with this. Would it be good for removing shrub/ tree stumps by slicing thru roots? Anyone heard of the dyna digger? It's like a jackhammer w/ a spade.
  2. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a jackhammer on very hard clay to plant B&B trees. Can really save your wrists/shoulders over time. I've also seen some people use them on frozen ground for the same reasons.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

It'll work; if all else fails, get the hammer out!
  4. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've used the Dyna Digger before for an old firm I used to work for. They will cut through roots and dig a perimeter hole for transplanting a tree or shrub in minutes. It's tough on your body if you have to use it for quite some time but it saves so much time compared to digging. I've asked my rental dealer about it but they say there are not enough requests for it. Too expensive to buy for the occassional use. Too bad because i'm sure if enough guys got a chance to use it, it would be rented more than enough times to justify it's expense.

5. jmartmel

jmartmel LawnSite Member

Check out http://www.hilti.com they have breakers that are powerful yet easier on the operator, most are electric, most rental shops carry them!