Anyone use a Jeep Wrangler to pull a trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ealbertson, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about buying a jeep wrangler to use as a backup to my Ford F250. I would also use it to plow snow. I just wonder how well it would pull. I have an 18' trailer with two zero turns and a 48" walk behind on it.

Thanks,

Ed

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Wranglers are only rated to pull 2500lbs.With it being a short wheelbase,you'll have problems stopping as well as swaying.
    A Grand Cherokee or Liberty would do fine though.The Liberty is rated at 5000 lbs.,but harder to lift due to the IFS.All other Jeeps have solid front axles.
    Jeep Wave!!!:waving:

3. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks NickN. It's not what I wanted to hear but thanks!

4. rogerslawn

rogerslawn LawnSite Member

Even though it is a back up it not only would'nt look professional pulling up to a customers home in a jeep , but what if you needed to haul something that day?

5. NickN

from Alabama

Hey now!:D I pull up all the time in my Jeep to customers homes.(For estimates)

6. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

Damn, and all of this time I was trying to be a pro. My TJ has been holding me back. I guess I will go buy a beater half ton like everyone else and forget about standing apart from the crowd.

LOL

I tow everyday using a 99 TJ. Trailer is a 16' single axle open. I haul a JD 737, 21'', Backpack, Edger, 2 Trimmers, Water cooler, Tool box, and all kinds of junk (supplies).

No problems at all. Although I did add brakes to the trailer.

im000393.jpg

7. LawnPerfect

:waving: Jeep Wave :waving:

8. NickN

from Alabama

And you aren't over the 2000lb( I was wrong.Thought it was 2500) towing capacity with what you listed.He's talking about 2 Z mowers and a walkbehind on an 18' trailer.
    Not that a TJ can't do it,but it's unsafe.Not to mention what your insurance company would say should you have an accident and you're beyond your vehicles towing capacity.

9. NickN

from Alabama

Nice TJ,btw!
    :waving:

10. LawnPerfect

No I am a bit over 2k. And with the equiptment he is talking about towing he would be way over.
    Like I said, I have added brakes to the trailer and feel just as safe towing with my TJ as I do an F150.