1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a loader to distibute mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Royalslover, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever used a small loader tractor to move and spread mulch? If so, how did it work? I don't understand why everyone uses a fork and a wheel barrow?
  2. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

We have used a loader in some applications. If you have a large amount to spread and can get it dumped near then a loader may be a good tool. consider the turf you may be driving over repeatedly. It works well, depending on the size of the bucket you get a yard to a bed in a small amount of time and then just spread it. It's alot quicker than wheel barrowing.
  3. Royalslover

What size tractor did you use? I am thinking about buying a garden tractor with a loader. I don't think it would be too much heavier than my Walker when it's full of grass.
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I've used my Ford 1520 before on a big job. Had to make sure I didn't drive in the same spot for ruts and it was a reall dry week. I think you would likely be better converting a WBH mower to a mulch hauler.
  5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Is a lot easier with a ASV RC30. I bought a huge bucket at an auction, I think it holds close to about a cubic yard, heaped up. I have spread over 30 yards in one 6 hour day, by myself. No ruts in the lawn, and the grass that it matts down, perks up as soon as the next rainfall. I would think others have the same experience, with the other rubber tracked loaders, and and even the powered wheel barrows, and walk behind conversions. Go for it!:waving:
  6. Royalslover

I just googled a Ford 1520 and an Asv. Holy Cow, my customers would have a heart attack I think. How could you use the ASV without tearing turf?
  7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

ASV is designed not to tear up turf. Even with the standard tracks, it does little damage to lawns. If you use the green tracks that are totally smooth, it performs even better on turf. My experience is that customers are impressed.:waving:
  8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don’t buy a tractor just to spread mulch nine out of ten you don’t need a tractor to spread mulch.:drinkup:
  9. jrdean62

jrdean62 LawnSite Member

Have you looked at compact utility loaders. The Toro Dingo for instance has a 6.4 cu. foot bucket and the machine with widetracks only has 3.4 psi of ground pressure. The machine also has over 40 other attachments that would make it useful the rest of the season.
  10. Royalslover

I've thought about Dingos but I see two drawbacks. I don't see how you can take any kind of tracked machine onto nice turf and not tear it. They also seem pretty slow. Most of the mulch I install is on high end residential and I can't afford to mess up turf at all.