Anyone use a marker or dye

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Casey, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

Still very new to the business and was wondering if anyone uses a dye like signal or something similar when they are spraying. Seems like it would make even coverage easier to obtain, and should just about guarantee no missed spots, might be especially beneficial when putting down a pre-emergent.

2. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

I use it not only for pre emergent but for post emergent apps also. To date the customers absolutely love it. They can see the work getting done. Keep in mind that as much as it helps, it can really show an idiot behind a spray gun. Looking at some of the franchise jobs around here, I would say there are many idiots. Blue stripes across driveways, big blue spots at the gates where they were working on the gate latch, blue lines down the turf adjacent to sidewalks where they were walking to the corner of the property. I'm talking blue like you find on the interstate highway signs for rest stops, food and lodging. There should only be enough dye for the app to see and keep track of the areas previously treated. Also go to a Ag fert shop and buy theirs. It's a lot cheaper. I use about 8oz per 100 gal.

3. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

We use it.

4. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I use it, but like XPND said, it shows your mistakes.

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Lol, I watched a guy a couple weeks back spraying a lawn with blue dye in it. He got it all over the wooden fence, all around the bottom of the house (where there were no beds), and even got some on the concrete. He made a blue mess! I am defintely trying to pick up that account!:)

6. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

I do beleive the best thing about this website is the diversity, in my area I haven't seen anyone using the dye, the only reason that I even knew it existed, was a Gemplers catalog.

7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

The ultimate rule for using tracker. Once the required amount is measured, the cap is immediately replaced and tightened on the bulk container. From experience, it is much better to spill 6oz or so then nearly a quart. It goes on and lasts forever. LOL

8. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Only when I use a non-selective herbicides.
    I did use dye when training the new guys that I hire.

9. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Hey just my 2 cents.

The only time I use dye of any type is for spot sprays in summer.

It obviously prevents me from hitting a plant twice which may in turn damage grass around the weed. (Usually crabgrass)

I think that any experienced professional should be able to see where he/she has sprayed already and then follow his/her foot prints and overlap accordingly.

I can't imagine using dye on entire property. Im sure it may look pretty but I'd never spend the money.
    Also, who pays the cleaning bills when some silly little kid ruins his new white Reeboks after he didn't keep off the grass like mom told him too?

Sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

Bob

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

All right, Pilgrim. I was wondering if I was the fool for using it in only spot treatments. Not only does it keep me from hitting weeds twice, I'm sure I don't miss any. And whatever type of equipment used for a broadcast application, I cannot imagine a need for a total marker, unless you are teaching or checking up on a trainee.

If someone is using a boom for a broadcast app, a foam marker would be much more appropriate to mark extent of spray path.