Anyone use a proslide with a hydro w/b

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm picking up a Exmark hydro tommorrow. I like the looks of the proslide but have never used one so I'm looking for some thoughts on these. It seems like a better setup than a sulky. So lets hear it.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I havent myself but many people love them. The only down side is you have to step off when you reach pavement. Also you have to replace the wear plate when it wears out but I have no experiance with it so I cant say how often they need replaced. I have read many many times about the spring lift that lifts it when you step off wearing out or breaking.

3. DuttonLandscape

DuttonLandscape LawnSite Member

my crew and I have used the proslide for 3 years now. I would highly recommend it. Pros-gives great stripes, easy on body, retractable is great-no sulky or velky in the way on trailer or getting off for obstacles Neg- you can't put anything up against it on the trailer, the walk behind would have to be last on the trailer. This past year I had an employee who didn't give a ****, and was having problems with the actuator spring and the stop bar spring-I believe from not slowly stepping off the proslide when getting off. Up until this , I never had a problem. Read the instructions and teach your guys. In my area I was the only company using the proslide always got lots of looks!

4. Smitty58

Can you step off it and continue mowing while walking? The video looks like it doesn't tuck up against the body of the mower that close ,so I'm wondering if you can leave it on and still mow. Also what do they cost ,and how about the 2 different models?

5. DuttonLandscape

DuttonLandscape LawnSite Member

you can still walk and cut grass with the proslide retracted-forgot to say as one of the pros. When I bought mine $350-$400 they only had the retractable, now they offer the other kind $200, but it doesn't retract. I thought about it, but it would just be like a velky and you would have to hook it to a chain and hang from mower when transporting or remove. Now that I think about it, less parts to break, cost half the price, you still get the beautiful stripe. I might just get one.

6. Smitty58

So the cheaper one just drops down and doesn't spring back up when you step off? If all it does is lay on the grass I think I could build that for a lot less than $200.

7. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely a better setup. We run a John Deere 48" wb w/ a proslide xt. The slide retracts automatically. It is a very smooth ride, where as wheeled sulkys, I think, would be quite bumpy. Doesn't gouge the ground, unless the ground is muddy, then it sometimes will, but that's a minor problem that we can deal with - don't think I would even call it a problem.

8. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the goside which you can get for 159.95 on their website. It doesn't automatically retract, however you can back up on it. I havn't used it too much, just tested it out when the snow finally melted, but its a very smooth ride and it folds up really well, unlike 1 or 2 wheel sulkys.

9. jhsmith4

jhsmith4 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I installed a Proslide on our Trimstar 48", 17 hp Kaw. I was impressed! I'm 220lbs and it pull me around pretty easy! Worth the money!

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What size Exmark are you buying? I have an Exmark Viking, 36" hydro driven machine. The ProSlide did not work on this mower. It is too light, and has too small of footprint, to handle the demands of the ProSlide. The PS unit "drove" the mower, not the other way around.