Anyone use a RBG on mulching blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KB, Feb 4, 2002.

1. KB

KB LawnSite Member

I am looking for an easier way to sharpen mulching blades. I now use a handheld angle grinder and butchering my blades. I would like something like the RGB but they seem only to work well with straight blades. The Magna-matic has a $950 model that will sharpen mulching blades but I am a part timer and cannot justify that rediculous expense. Does anyone use an RGB on mulching blades? If so, how well does it work? If not, what do you use?

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

There is a catalog called AMLeonard that sells a cheaper model of RBG (around $500) and then you can buy an adapter for the "special contoured" mulching blades. Most mulching blades are flat.

MATT

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I use a mini-die grinder to put a fresh surface on my blades. sometimes I don't even have to take them off of the mower.

since I have never used one if the dedicated blade grinders like you are talking about, my question is why can't you sharpen a mulching blade on one of them?

I suppose the answer is that some mulcher blades are not a flat straight surface.

GEO

4. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

I use the RBG 121 with the mulching blade attachment. Rather, I HAVE the mulching blade attachment. I have never been able to figure out how it is supposed to work. No instructions with the unit.

I use the grinder to do the outer three inches or so and a file to do the curved part. It's hard to keep the blade flat to do the outer three inches. I'm sure there's a secret but I sure don't know what it is. Works great on the flat blades though.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I use the RBG-218 model i have no problems with mulching blades,i do use the mulching blade adapter which gives you the right angle for mulching blades, Old Guy there is only one way that the mulching adapter fits on the grinder, its mostly used for really beveled high lift mulching blades,like the grasshoppers have,ive used mine but i always sharpen the fins with a file. Marks Mowing Service

6. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

Mark,

I think you're right about it fitting only one way. My problem is that once it is mounted just how does this help grind mulching blades? Seems useless to me. :confused:

7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Old Guy when useing the mulch plate it alouds you to go in at a 35 degree angle something like the Magna matic. If you run just the standard Gator mulching don't even worry about the mulch plate just run your blade straight. The mulch plate does seem to do a little better on the offset blades or the unlevel type blades. Marks Mowing Service ps and it also bites into the edge of your stone, youll have to use your dresser more.

8. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I use the Exmark mulching blades and I can see no way this attachment will help. I do the flat part with the RBG and the rest with a file. Again, thanks.