Anyone use a reel mower for commercial mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baldbeefman, Jul 3, 2003.

1. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

I'm about to purchase another mower and was thinking about a reel mower like the golf courses use. I mow three large factory's that are pretty wide open and mowed on a weekly basis. Currently using a MTD Pro 25hp 60". (I know, MADE TO DESTRUCT, and it is)

I would apreciate any advice you could give me on the subject or recomendations.
    :confused:

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you have the equipment/knowledge to adjust/backlap reels, you're better off with a rotary mower. Also, keep in mind that reels will not cut grass that is taller than the center of the reel. Golf courses use reels because they are better suited to mowing short grass without scalping. At the golf course I worked on, we used a 5 and 7 gang reel for the roughs and it didn't produce the best results. We purchased a Hustler with wing decks, if I remember correctly it had 12' width of cut. The Hustler reduced the time it took to mow roughs from 3 days to 2 days.

Mike

3. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

i think reel mowers cost a lil more than you would like to spend. well good ones atleast.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to agree with you. Reels are not meant for everyday use on a homeowners lawn unless they have a putting green

5. We use a 25 true cut reel mower on some select properties.But we charge extra for this service.It works great on some of the bermuda lawns.There is a big catch with these mowers.More money you spend on these mowers the better off you are.If I had my way I would purchase a new locke mower but they cost 3600.00 and there is a 30 day waiting list for these mowers.I have mowed for years reel mowers.Bottom line is greatest quality of cut but you lose time & speed which in most cases equals money.Plus your customers terrain play a big part into it.If it is unlevel it will take about 4 to 5 mowings to make it look manicured.Some of the companies to look at with lowest price first is mclane,true cut,locke,jacobson,deere and toro.Hope this helps you