Anyone use a staffing agency?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grits, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have a guy I would like to hire and thought it might be more affordable going through a staffing agency. Anyone do this before? I got the prices, they are as follows:

10 per hour = 15.38 per hr
    12.50 per = 18.50 per
    15 = 21.62

The first number is what the employee would be paid and the 2nd number is what I would be paying the agency.

2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Around here they will do the taxes and cover them if they get hurt. They will also replace the guy/gal if they are not working out. They will also provide any PPE if you require it. If you just need the help on a temp basis like hauling mulch from trailer to site in a wheelbarrow then I think its a good idea.

3. thes

thes LawnSite Member

How did you find the staffing agency? Is there a certain word(s) to look up?
    Thanks

4. Grits

from Florida

I have a guy that I know that I want to hire. He is a great and reliable worker as I have worked with him in the past. I was thinking about hiring him through an agency because I think it would actually be cheaper and easier than me getting set-up to deal with employees.

5. Grits

from Florida

There are a couple around here. I have actually been employed with this same agency years ago when I first got hired on with the city that I worked for. Very reputable company and well known around these parts.

6. Grits

from Florida

Anyone have experience or other opinions on this?

7. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know but i would think you would have to train someone very well (unless you got that guy who knew what he was doing) so they dont ruin your yards or equipment. I had a guy that worked laying mulch all summer with us and knew how to run a mower but when he started cutting, he ran right over a tree stump. He said he saw it, he just thought it would clear it. (the thing was like 6 inches high, no wae in he$$ it was going to clear. To me id be a little weary of hiring someone who wasnt experienced in this feild. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen, but who knows you could find one of the best employees out there! Its a roll of the dice!

8. Grits

from Florida

I know a guy, actually he started working with me today. I have worked with him before and I am confident of his abilities. That isn't really the point though. I am wondering if it is cheaper and easier to use a staffing agency.

9. Grits

from Florida

I know more people have opinions on this......come on. I need info.

10. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have a full time guy but I use a guy from a staffing agency a few days a week when we get behind. I pay $10.50 per hour and all he does is push mow.