Anyone use a Turf Tracer 60 Inch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TimberlandGrounds, Mar 29, 2004.

1. TimberlandGrounds

TimberlandGrounds LawnSite Member

I am seriously considering purchasing an Exmark Turf Tracer walk behind, 23HP, 60 inch. I have many residential customers that are willing to pay the extra fees for walk behind service.

Does anyone use this machine for residentials? I am trying to get a feel if this machine is TOO big, or should I stick with the Turf Tracer HP, 48 inch.

Is the Turf Tracer 60 inch just too big and not as nimble as the Turf Tracer HP, or is it worth the extra few dollar to gain that efficiency (60 inch versus 48 inch deck).

Thanks for your opinions.

2. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I've had 1 for over 3 yrs. About 1000 hrs or so. With the mulching deck (no side discharge chute) I've found that it will fit just about everywhere my old 48" would fit. (It won't fit through 4' gates though.) They are good machines esp. with a proslide attached.

3. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 2 of them. Great machine,It's hard to go back to "48". Huge time saver ; with that size cut it must be a floating deck to avoid scalping.
    '

4. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Are you guys finding it a problem when you cut on a slight slope? I noticed that with the big Z's that if you are cutting on a slope the deck will flex and will leave lines in the grass... I have a few customers that will complain in a heart beat about something like that... Thanx

5. TimberlandGrounds

Dylan, what is a proslide?

6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the oldest turf tracer in the state,bought it in 1989 very first one sold.60 inch 18 hp kohler

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Here is a 2004 23 kohler 60"ULTRACUT. Notice the trim side! All exmark has to do is raise the speed a little and its a great mower. What a back up for a 60" lazer!!!!!But yet nimble in tight places.
    John

970-300.jpg

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

These machines are nothing short of awesome. To answer the question about working the slopes, these machines are not only more stable, but because of that, they are much safer, as well. Definitely get a sulky of some sort. This will save you SO much work from walking, as well as be much more productive because you will be able to utilize higher ground speeds.

9. TimberlandGrounds

I did it. I went ahead and ordered my Turf Tracer, 60 inch, 23HP, will have it this weekend. Also having striping kit installed. This machine was approx. $1,100 more than the Turf Tracer HP, 48 inch, 17 HP. Probably worth it. For the $1,100 more, I am getting 25% more deck (efficiency), and 29% more power, I'll take it. The other nice thing I am thinking is it will compliment my 60 inch Lazer nicely. On those bigger commecial properties, we can use both mowers in the same area and it will look nice / match (ZTR and TT both 60 inch w/ striping kits).

What brand / type of sulky would you recommend?

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly! THAT'S the main thing, I would say.....is being able to use both mowers in the same areas. I run two 60" mowers, but one is a Lazer, and the other is an older Gravely 300H front deck. The problem with this machine, is that while the rows match up, it leaces those center tracks. So, there are places that the Lazer will cut where the Gravely has cut previously, or usually cuts, but there are ALSO places that the Lazer does, that the Gravely WILL NOT track onto, so it won't leave it's marks. With YOUR set up, it's not really going to matter, because BOTH machines are going to leave the same identical cut pattern that is much more attractive and has a great cut. That walk behind of yours will cut CIRCLES around the Gravely rider that I have. Good luck with it, and enjoy it to the fullest!!