Anyone use Acclaim on Bermuda??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mowerdave, Jun 27, 2007.

1. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

We generally have Bluegrass or Fescue. I have noticed in years past that there are small patches of bermuda poking its way through and killing our our other grasses. The last couple of years, I have used Round up to do a total kill and reseeded. Seems like I get a good stand of grass but the Bermuda always seems to come back. This year I am trying Acclaim once a month to control it and it seems to be working. Has anyone else done this or am I just wasting my time.
  2. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

Bermuda is tough to kill. We have had good results with Vantage in centipede (I am in Zone 9 and down here Bluegrass and Fescue are either considered winter overseeding grasses or weeds), but your on the right track with having to re-apply. Bermuda seems to always come back. I've even seen it come back from a 4% solution of Roundup. ;)

FYI I have no idea what Vantage might do to Bluegrass and Fescue, but it knocks out Ryegrass so it may hurt those grasses as well.

I use Kerb to control Bluegrass in Centipede in the spring before it burns out.
  3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Fusilad works very well but I don't think it is labeled for residential. Ornamec is another alternative but not as good. Roundup will not keep it from coming back just as strong. I have used Fusilad on my home lawn for the last 2 years with very good results. Before Fusilad I went from 2 split aps of roundup, followed by sodding to the next summer 60% takeover by bermuda. That fall I tried fusilad then reseeding, the following spring I used Primo and that summer sprayed Fusilad on the couple of clumps of Bermuda that came back. They died off quickly and have not had major issues since. I do have to spot treat once a year in July. I actually see one clump returning now.
  4. same chemical

try acclaim and turflon d...3-4 applications 30 days apart
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am working on a customer lawn for bermuda right now. Two treatments with Acclaim and Confront so far. (Old label Confront--residential label from 2001). I have heard Acclaim plus triclopyr is the best.

However---almost no result so far. However, there was some injury on the new growth of the red maple--I am thinking this is from the chlorpyralid in the Confront.

Bayer has a new product for bermuda in home lawns--contains the same chemical as Acclaim--I think. I think the label suggested monthly treatments for two years.

Discouraged. Any suggestions?
  6. I have heard Acclaim plus triclopyr is the best. turflon D and triclopyr are one and the same

Three treatments 30 days apart!

Why are you treating for bermundagrass in michigan?
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for your note. Bermuda is actually a problem at times here in west Michigan--maybe it doesn't get cold enough in winter to kill it. We are near Lake Michigan and get plenty of snow (which insulates the soil) and temps seldom drop below zero.
  8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I had little results with Acclaim + Turflon this year as well. I had much better results last year, most likely due to the fact that I hit it a month earlier last year.

I was reading about bermuda control on a website a while back, and haven't been able to find it again. They said clethodim (Envoy) was the best herbicide to use. I can't find this product locally, nor find much info on it for turfgrass use. If I find the website I'll post it.
  9. Lilmarvin4064,

what are the rates for each?
    What date did you apply?

Last talk on this combo I HEARD from ncstate..start 6/15, and do 7/15, 8/15, and 9/15....gets 90% control