1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Allan Block Garden Accent?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MDLawn, Aug 13, 2009.

1. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wanted opinions. They say to use only 2" for the base. These stones do not retain anything just make a border. Any opinions on the 2" of base stone versus 6" for retaining walls? Would this cause the border to shift? Again I am in the northeastern part of the states so lots of freeze/thaw. Any opininons or actual use of these would be appreciated.

2. klaf

klaf LawnSite Member

I would put way more than a 2 inch base. I'm northern ontario so I have to deal with a lot of freeze thaw as well and you can't always go by what they say. Do what works best in your climate. I wish I could get away with 2 inches of base, or even six for that matter.

In my opinion if you only put a two inch base you will be back to fix it next year. i use allan block all the time and always have atleast 2 feet of good solid base.

3. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow 2 feet! Even just for a little border wall. I even attended an Allan Block training, it was up here in the northeast, and they never talked about using more than 6-8".

4. klaf

klaf LawnSite Member

well maybe not for a 1 course border wall but i would still go down atleast a foot. The thing is a lot of those allan block reps just now the literature that is provided to them and not what actually works best

The 2 to 3 feet of base is generally for the retaining walls that we do