1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use an ATV fert spreader?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HighGrass, May 4, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Anyone use an ATV fert spreader? If so, what speed do you go and is it specified in your instructions?
  2. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Oh heck yes....... we developed and manufactured the 1st combo unit. It has a dry fert hopper & liquid applicator on it. We can easily cover 10 acres before having to re-load either one.

It depends on the dry & liquid flow rate your trying to achieve for your turf care as to the "speed" of your atv.
    ie: 1lb.-2lb.-3lb. etc per 1k SF

FMI or to have one built on your existing ATV..contact us at IndyPropertyCare.com

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Kipcom, So your unit has a 50 gal tank and a 1200 pound hopper.
  4. FLD

FLD LawnSite Member

Kipcom, how do you monitor the spped of your 4 wheeler. We tried it but found it to hard to keep speed consistant.
  5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use a GPS unit to monitor my speed on my tractors. I power my from the tractor battery. You will need a battery source. GPS units go through double AA batteries quick.
  6. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a HPX Gator with a 125lb spreader on front and a 100 gallon sprayer w/booms in back. Greatest time saver I ever got. It takes a little time to get used to the speed and quality but on larger properties it is worth the time it took to learn to use it.
  7. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

my friend does his lawn with one, and it works great