anyone use ATV lift to change ZTR blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLS1, Nov 6, 2003.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a few people use Jungle Jack or ramps or trailer gate. I use ramps now but don't like it. I can get ATV lift with 1500 lb capacity for $90 so has anyone have experience using ATV lift? The ATV lift would give me lots more room to get under the deck to remove the blades.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I saw these at Harbor Freight the other day. We just had a store open up near us....TOO COOL! Anyway, how high do these things lift the bottom of the machine?
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I just change the lades on mine whaile it's sitting flat down on the trailer. My deck is only a 48" and nothing is really in my way of just reaching under and changing them. Plus when sitting up on the trailer, I don't have to roll around on the ground.

If I need to scrape the deck out, then I just pull up on the tail end of the trailer. This way my Z is just sitting uphill like. Then I just pick the front end up and slide an 8 x 16 block under one castor.
    Plenty of clearance :D
  4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

The ones I've seen have had support arms or something that would get in the way. Pluss, where would you lift from?
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you change blades while it is flat on the trailer? Do you just feel around, or just real experienced, or what? On mine the deck doesn' t raise high enough to do that. Just curious.
  6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Speaking of a motorcycle / atv jack, Sears has theirs on sale for $89 and it is usually a lot more than that. But from looking at the pic in the ad, I don't know how it for work for a ztr.
  7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

just make something to drive the mower up on. like a square of 2x6's with a hole in the middle o i can extract the blade.
    have eyelets on the 4 corners of the wooden tray, and tie those up to the winch hook. geez, it's not rocket science
  8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just use a "come a long"(I think that's what they are called) attached to a stud in my garage ceiling. After I lift it up I put a concrete block under one of the wheels to support it. Plenty of clearance to change blades. But, I would never rely on JUST a lift without some extra ground support, just in case. Good luck and be safe.
  9. FatherandSon

FatherandSon LawnSite Member

This year we bought a 1 ton chain hoist. Attached it to the beam in the garage and lift the front of our scags. Plenty of room and so easy to operate. Easiest blade changing ever and also raises it high enough to power wash the deck underneath. It is great..
    Spent $70.00 for it.
  10. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I just use the Z-stand on my Toro Zmaster. On the mower all the time. Great for out on the job half way thru the day if you want to clean the deck out, or swap blades 'cause they are getting dull (or BENT:angry: ) I have bent a blade twice this season, used the Z-stand and back mowing in less than five minutes. JMHO