1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Automotive store Oil Filters on mowers? $2.99 VS $9.99ea

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TimTim2008, Sep 10, 2009.

1. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know its been asked before, but what are you guys thoughts on autoparts store oil filters?

I use a LOT of "Kohler Engines 14 to 20 HP Oil Filter OEM # 52-050-02" filters.
    but i'm tired of pay $9.99 and sometimes MORE for this same filter.

Anyone use Automotive store, Oil Filters on mowers?
    (from pepboys, autozone, napa, etc)

Auto oil filters are only $2.49 to $3.99
    when the OEM part is sometimes $9.99 (or more) at the shops..

HELL, autozone and pepboys run a $9.99 OIL change special, that comes with a oil filter & 5qts of OIL all for under TEN bucks..

PS. is there other parts (like spark plugs, or platinum plugs) that we can use too?

The Fram number is PH7575 or PH3614 ?

Fleetguard LF3335

Purolator L10241

Wix 51348

Napa 1348

Here are the Wix Specs:

Part Number: 51348

UPC Number: 765809513488

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter

Service: Lube

Type: Full Flow

Media: Paper

Height: 3.404

Outer Diameter Top: 2.921

Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed

Thread Size: 3/4-16

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Burst Pressure-PSI: 275

Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM

Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameter (attached)

O.D. 2.734

I.D. 2.430

Thickness 0.226

VS $30+ for this BS overpriced kit

2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Yes, and I do get most of my filters and anything else I can from auto parts stores.
    The only filters I won't use are Fram or the store brand. Just don't trust them. There are many web sites now that have good info on which filters are good and which are bad.
    I do know that NAPA gold, Wix, Purolator, KN, and some other "Brand" names are also good. Just NOT Fram.
  3. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

intresting... anyone use cheap filters in skids steers/track loaders too?

now i may not go cheap on the hydro filter and fluid..

but in the mowers ,i change them every month or 100hrs or so.. so that can add up to $ in savings
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  4. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Not sure what you mean by "cheap".
    I won't use anything considered cheap on anything I own. Oldest mower to best auto, they all get what I hope is "best". I go synthetic whenever I can and will only use oil or filters that I have researched to make sure they are built well.
    My main intent of the answer to your post was that I will purchase from most any auto parts store if the price is right.
  5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

You can use any auto filter on any mower, Wix, Fram, Napa etc. Eveyone has an opinion on which is better :confused: And yea, I have used Wix and Fram on BobCat skid streets and Kubota front end loaders

But for hydros, I always use the OME filters. I have seen what happens when you don't use the right filter, they blow up and make a BIG mess :laugh:
  6. Need4racin

Need4racin LawnSite Member

I would only use a wix filter. Btw, Napa gold and Carquest blue are relabeled wix filters.
  7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use (gasp) wal-mart supertech filters.

On the oil forums at bobistheoilguy.com there is a guy who runs then for 10k miles or more and then cuts them open and points out how good they still look. I do not run them in my vehicles though, because I use amsoil filters with a 15k mile oil, but if I was going to change them at 3k miles, I would.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. LushGreenLawn

Btw, on hydros, I do buy the oem filter also, I'm worried about pressure, but they may be on the return line anyway. I figured for something that's done so little why risk it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

How does $6.00 each for Kohler 52 050 02-S filters sound when purchased 12 at a time shipped to your door?
  10. LushGreenLawn

For oem filters from a reliable source?
    Posted via Mobile Device