Anyone Use Contracts In Florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DISTURBEDSMR, Dec 4, 2007.

1. DISTURBEDSMR

DISTURBEDSMR LawnSite Member

Does Anyone In Florida Use Contracts For Mowing,if So What Is The Actual Benefit. Or Do Customers Tend To Shy Away From Them.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I use them for commercials, for residentials its not worth it. I do charge in advance though.

3. DISTURBEDSMR

DISTURBEDSMR LawnSite Member

Sorry I didn't state I was wondering about residential.

4. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

im sure alot of these guys have good luck with them ... or so they say..... i've got a few... but generally for some reason... especially the older people.. just wont pay during the winter when youre not doing much... guess they feel like they're not getting their money's worth... i dunno...i've tried to emphasize how they would be saving money in the summertime and that it would make it easier to budget since you know the bill will be the same... just doesnt matter.... too set in their ways i guess.

5. southfla

southfla LawnSite Member

I have about 160 res accounts here in south FL and no contacts!!!
    People here are idiots they dont care about the quality of service or that you show up every week in the summer. All they think about is the 5.00 per month difference the small guy is offering and switch...no loyality!!!!

On a positive side the customers you cannot stand you drop with one call ... no 30 days etc. I try not to work this way but some of these New Yorkers here think they can tell you what to do and how much to charge.

6. Gator Lawn

Gator Lawn LawnSite Member

I don't require contracts and I'm still getting accounts through the winter. When I sign ppl in the spring I emphasize the terms of the year round pricing. If they cancel after the heat breaks and try to start back up the next year, it's a penalty. I have a monthly price for snowbirds and temp ppl.

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I am definitely going to Service Agreements next year. Note, this is NOT a binding contract. It just spells out the details of work to be performed and when they are supposed to pay....things like that. I have had more than once this past season times that I wish I had an agreement to fall back on when the customer tends to forget what was talked about.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

well contract or not you should have a price quote sheet. I guess my estimate sheet is like some of the contracts I have seen on here, it isnt signed or anything, just so the customer can see in writing what we do.

9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not had anyone refuse to sign my service agreement. Had one guy cancel without notice along with a note saying I did great work but he found a lower priced service, that was all I needed to win the balance of the 2100 dollar balance of the agreement in court.

10. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I also use a service agreement. It is not a contract. I offer a full service and then I have a basic service. Kind of like an oil change, signature service or the basic. Customers who don't water go with basic. Most that water do the full service. I find it so important to have it in writing. No more "you said you would do this and it was included in the price". I whip out the agreement and say no you signed for the basic but you can upgrade to the full service if you would like.